Visit Open-E website

Thread: Enter product key without reboot?

Default Enter product key without reboot?

Hi,

we've upgraded our DSS to DSS V6 using help by an external supporter. The supporter did the upgrade, while we managed the VMware ESX world that depends on the storage. Generally, it was successful.

But, the supporter forgot to enter the available product key by time. Now, the VMware world --containing ca. 130 guest systems-- is up and running again, but with V6 test license only.

I entered the product key now, and see a message that it will be active only after a reboot! :-( It'd be hard to make a global downtime again...

I've got 58 days left now. What will my Open-E do if this expires? Cut all connections? Shut down? Or will it continue to work until the next downtime between Xmas and New Year (and then, the key is present and it will come up an work with key)

Is there any chance to activate the key without reboot (I really don't understand why this requests for a reboot. The key is just a chain of characters that should be stored anywhere....)

Best regards

Robert

We are in the same situation, help is very much appreciated. The trial key expires in 2 days. We have provided the definitive key and the system ask for a reboot.

Best Regards,

Antoine

Hello,

we are in the same situation too.

This storage was reinstalled in the heat of a hardware failure and the reboot was not done by then. The definitive licence is installed and expires in 2 days. more than 50 VMs on it...

Any help appreciated, regards,

Antoine

Please open a support ticket, ( if you cannot, then open a pre-sales ticket pre-sales ( at ) open-e (dot ) com ) and support us with the serial number(s) for your system, and we will deal with it.

Also you can find the following Kb that will support you with more details :
    http://kb.open-e.com/How-to-activate...oduct_702.html

Default shell shockked

shell shocked
    i'm blown away that you are even running 130 vm's on what apears to be a non-ha deployment?
    wouldn't a 2node dss configuration be more suitable for an enviroment of your size?

DSS is a very reliable product but it's not immune to hardware fail.
    Hardware issues can result in a Linux kernel panic and then watch your enviroment come crashing down.

how do you sleep at night?