Visit Open-E website

Thread: No NFS Failover, VLAN?

Default No NFS Failover, VLAN?

Hi,

I am looking around for a storage solution that runs on standard hardware, supports infiniband, failover between two nodes, iscsi and nfs.

open-E looks very promising, but is it true that NFS failover is not supported? And no VLANs?

I need both, maybe I could just add additional Dual-NICs to the Servers for each VLAN I need the storage in (not a very elegant solution), but how would I deal with NFS Failover? Is it true that this is not supported? Is it on any road map? can I expect that functionality soon? Is there any webpage with a road map or such?

I couldn't find any answers... can anybody help me?

is it right that DSS is linux-based? VLANs and NFS-Failover has been "standard" in linux for a few years, I do not understand why that functionality is missing in DSS v6?!

regards
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by logic
    Hi,

I am looking around for a storage solution that runs on standard hardware, supports infiniband, failover between two nodes, iscsi and nfs.

open-E looks very promising, but is it true that NFS failover is not supported? And no VLANs?

I need both, maybe I could just add additional Dual-NICs to the Servers for each VLAN I need the storage in (not a very elegant solution), but how would I deal with NFS Failover? Is it true that this is not supported? Is it on any road map? can I expect that functionality soon? Is there any webpage with a road map or such?

I couldn't find any answers... can anybody help me?

is it right that DSS is linux-based? VLANs and NFS-Failover has been "standard" in linux for a few years, I do not understand why that functionality is missing in DSS v6?!

regards
    Jan
    Hi logic!

Yes this is true that we don't have failover for NFS, for today we have failover for iSCSI only, also we don't have public roadmap, but I've checked it, and I see that developers already have such task .
    For more informations please send an email pre-sales@open-e.com
    Open-E - Knowledgebase
    Best Regards Richard
    Open-E Technical Support Engineer

To Everyone!

Finally we have Infiniband support for CM (Connected mode).

We would like to inform you about new "small update" available for all DSS V6. Please send in a support ticket asking for this this small update for the DSS V6 only!.

This is a new option "Connected Mode" for IPoIB. Until now we were supporting only Datagram mode.

After applying small update you may change the desired mode under hardware console tools (ALT+CTRL+W) -> Infiniband tuning.

In order to get the best performance for IPoIB please to switch to "Connected Mode" and change Jumbo Frames to 65520.

Jumbo Frames can be changed under Hardware Console Tools (ALT+VTRL+W) -> Tuning Options -> Jumbo Frames.

Datagram vs Connected modes

In datagram mode, the IB UD (Unreliable Datagram) transport is used
    and so the interface MTU has is equal to the IB L2 MTU minus the
    IPoIB encapsulation header (4 bytes). For example, in a typical IB
    fabric with a 2K MTU, the IPoIB MTU will be 2048 - 4 = 2044 bytes.

In connected mode, the IB RC (Reliable Connected) transport is used.
    Connected mode takes advantage of the connected nature of the IB
    transport and allows an MTU up to the maximal IP packet size of 64K,
    which reduces the number of IP packets needed for handling large UDP
    datagrams, TCP segments, etc and increases the performance for large
    messages.

In connected mode, the interface's UD QP is still used for multicast
    and communication with peers that don't support connected mode. In
    this case, RX emulation of ICMP PMTU packets is used to cause the
    networking stack to use the smaller UD MTU for these neighbors
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"