Visit Open-E website

Thread: Boot disk failed, iscsi "data" volumes still good, can I save my data?

Default Boot disk failed, iscsi "data" volumes still good, can I save my data?

Hello All,

I built a DSS V6 box using raid protected 500GB "data" drives, but I used a single 80GB hard disk for my boot/system partition. (I know, bad idea, but this was supposed to be a quick and dirty 2 week trial / test.)

I moved some of my less important servers over to it to give it a full test. And of course my 80GB system drive has failed. I didn't know it was a problem until I could no longer access the web page for management. After rebooting, I realized that the system/boot up partition was gone, and the DSS can no longer start.

The 500 GB drives were partitioned with approx 300GB of ISCSI LUN space, some SMB/CIFS storage space, and snapshot space.

Here's the question -- is there a fairly easy way to "rebuild" the DSS box with a new system partition? and then regain access to the ISCSI LUNs?

I've already booted off a system recovery CD -- I can mount the LVM volume group, and see all of the DSS partitions on the 500GB drives, but I don't know much about how ISCSI LUNs are created and shared.

Or should I just forget about it, and restore from my 2 week old backups?

Thanks for your help,

- Patrick

Patrick,

have you tried booting of an USB disk with DSSv6 on it to see if it can still access the configuration? Or was that stored on the failing disk as well?

It'd be an easy test, at least.

Regards,
    Jens