Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VMware Switch iSCSI From IET To SCST

Default VMware Switch iSCSI From IET To SCST

There is an article in the KB about doing this, but when I tried to follow it, I couldn't get it to work. Then I looked in the change log for the latest release and saw it was a known issue, and has been for a while. Why is there a KB article on this if it doesn't work? Also, what options do I have to transition to SCST? I have a duplicate SAN, but I really don't want to replicate to it, destroy this end, recreate this end as SCST, then add the targets back. But that's looking like the only option that I have.

Any ideas?

You can change from IET to SCST and there is also some docs from VMware side that you have to perform. DSS V6 was certified with ESX 4.0 with the SCST.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Default Hmmmmmmm...

I have tried following the Docs to no avail. Granted, some of our systems are ESX 4.1. However, even on our ESX 4.0 host we have had no luck switching. Though I suppose I will try it again for giggles tonight. We are currently running on one version down from the current release. Version 4550 I believe. I will upgrade us to the latest version tonight and see how it affects things. Also, is there any doc on the best iSCSI settings?

Such as R2T, and others? I've gleaned several settings to try from the Forums, but I was wondering if there was an official doc on it.

Thanks!

So you read all of this and still not able to? This was done by so many and the only thing I can think of is change the LUN #'s then try to reset the iSCSI Target solution to IET then back to SCST and then dis mount the Targets/LUNs then restart and mount them again and kill the static and Dynamic VMware connections on all ESX server if you have an HA setup then enter them in one at a time before entering the others.

http://www.kb.open-e.com/How-can-I-s...nd-40_882.html

http://www.kb.open-e.com/entry/672/
    Last edited by robertoe; 01-07-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Default Question about KB article

Okay, I was reviewing the KB article on this change, and I was wondering. In what part of the process do you need to change over to SCST? It does not specify when to make the switch. I'm assuming you change it before you start on the list. In this same KB article:

http://kb.open-e.com/How-can-I-switc...nd-40_882.html

I never made it past part 3. I kept rescanning and my LUNs never appeared. When I followed this I shut down all my VMs, changed over to SCST, then started the list from the KB above. Was that correct?

Yes this is correct but sometimes I have seen where VMware can take its sweet time (i dont know why most probably the resignituring) but do it several times and if it does not work then go to the console and switch it back to IET then go back and switch it to SCST then reconnect again.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Default Okay

The last time I waited about 10 minutes, but I'll give it a little longer this time. And failing that I'll try going back to IET, then back to SCST. Should I need to reboot or the VMWare hosts, or the SAN at any point when trying this?

Try several times - also what are the LUN #'s ?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Talking

Originally they were all 0, but I couldn't get VMware to see them. Once I changed them to something other than 0 they showed up just fine. Mind you, these are all seperate Targets. I have been advised by Tech Support to change them back to 0 as soon as I can. I'll see if I still have trouble seeing them. We shall see tonight!

Yes 0 is what each Target should have - let me know how it works for you.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"