Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I delete Logical Volumes?

Default How do I delete Logical Volumes?

Hi there,

I have recently been tasked with remote support of a pair of these iSCSI-R3 SANs.
    I've had a look round and it mainly seems pretty straight-forward.
    However, I've been asked to do some reconfiguration and I'm struggling a little, I assume it is something obvious that I am missing, or something that needs to be enabled from the console.

I only have access via the web GUI.
    I have logged on, gone to Configuration and Volume Manager, selected the Volume group in the left hand pane and the Logical Volume list appears in the right hand pane.
    At this point they are all greyed-out and I have no option to do anything with them.
    I can create a new LV, which gives me a nice little red X to delete it with again(but no other options), but I can't do anything with the existing LVs.

Please could someone point me in the right direction?

thanks!

James

James,

I'm more a DSS user but your description of the UI matches... the greyed-out LVs are used by iSCSI targets, you need to remove the LV from the target (which may still exist afterwards).

Once the LV is no longer in use, the UI should allow you to delete it.

Regards,
    Jens

Default Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!! Help Please!!

** URGENT ** Please help me!

OK, I figured out what was causing it, but have now made a massive mistake!

I have deleted some LVs that I didn't want to. There are no snaphots.

Is there any way I can recover them please?

Just go to the Extended tools in the Console and select "Restore LVM VG ..." and select the last known good date and reboot.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

thanks Tom,

is it possible to do that from the web interface, as I am about 100 miles away from the site.

No, you will need to get the Firewall to let ports 22222 for SSH to get into the Console - see the SETUP -> administrator -> Function: Remote access for more details.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi there,

Thanks very much for this!!!!

I am a little lost how to use this.

I have had the firewall opened up.

Please could you talk me through this step by step? I know it's cheeky, but I really am desperate!!!!!

so do I run telnet then:-
    open 192.168.4.4 22222

?

I really am out of my depth here!

Download PUTTY then Read the Online Help manual - I have pasted it below.

Using this function, you can manage console tools remotely via the SSH protocol (secure shell). The default user is cli and cannot be altered. The password, however, can be changed.

Allow IP
    Here you can assign IP addresses (separated by a semicolon) which are granted remote access to the server. When left blank, the field indicates no restrictions.
    Set port
    The default port is 22222 for security reasons, because high-number ports are invisible to port scanners. You can only change the setting to a port within the 1024-65535 range. You cannot indicate ports already in use.
    Password
    Password length is 5 characters minimum. Be sure to use strong passwords.
    Confirm password
    Please retype your new password.

Password cannot contain:

* special characters such as ' " ` ^ & $ # [ ] \/ | *
    * spaces

To connect to the server from Linux/MacOSX systems use:
    ssh -2 -p 22222 -l cli ip_address
    where:

* option: -2 indicates the SSH protocol version used for connection
    * option: -p indicates the remote access port
    * option: -l indicates the user (the user needs to be cli)
    * option: address_ip indicates the address of the server to which you want to connect

You will be asked for the remote access password you have entered on the server.

To connect to the server from Microsoft Windows, download the free SSH client (Putty):

* in the Host Name (or IP address) field, enter the IP address of the server
    * in the Port field, enter the same port as in the server GUI (default 22222)
    * in the Protocol field, select SSH
    * in the category: Connection -> Data -> Auto-login-username, enter: cli
    * in Terminal -> Keyboard -> The Function Keys and keypad, select VT100+
    * go back to the Session category, enter the session name in the Saved Sessions field, and click the Save button
    * click on the newly saved session, click Open, and enter the password. (If you have not entered the Auto-login-username, Putty will prompt you for a username. At the prompt, enter cli).

SETUP -> administrator -> Function: Remote access
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Thanks for your help!

I've just done that...... all the dates/times are from today, we did the earliest one and the targets are back, but not the logical volumes.

can you offer any more advice/hope please?

If the Targets are back then the Logical Volumes are there as the Targets are tied to the LV's. Maybe do a refresh on the GUI use Firefox or other.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"