Visit Open-E website

Thread: Will Open-E detect grown LUNs?

Default Will Open-E detect grown LUNs?

Hi all,

all of my units on my Open-E filers consist of FC LUNs, where mostly 16x500 GB drives had been used in an external RAID. I have swapped out these 500GB drives with 1TB ones, since we had a cooler failure and the drives got extremely hot - the air temp had been at 60 deg C over a couple of hours.

So, I can now push the logical drive on the RAID to twice its size and initially the RAID will setup a new partition for that. If I remove that partiton again, the fist one will get all the space.
    Now, if that happens, will Open-E recognize that it's vdev has grown and make the new space available to create more volumes on that same unit?

Cheers,
    budy
    There's no OS like OS X!

Yes you will be able to expand your RAID Array and then use the link below to increase your volume group.

http://kb.open-e.com/Expanding-hardware-RAID_154.html
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi Todd,

sorry - I might have make my point not clear enough.

I don't use RAIDs that are directly connected to my DSS, but the DSS imports the FC LUNs from standalone RAID, like Infortrend ones. So the units on the DSS would show up to be from only one single drive.

So to the DSS it would seem that a connected drive has grown - well maybe it's not too far away from a RAID set that grows. Maybe just hitting PV resize will do it…

But, that will need a reboot, right?

Thanks,
    budy
    There's no OS like OS X!

Yes, use the PV Resize then after the reboot go to the Volume and add the new unit to the existing VGxx and you will see the in the logical volume manager the new added space.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

all of my units on my Open-E filers consist of FC LUNs, where mostly 16x500 GB drives had been used in an external RAID. I have swapped out these 500GB drives with 1TB ones, since we had a cooler failure and the drives got extremely hot - the air temp had been at 60 deg C over a couple of hours.So, I can now push the logical drive on the RAID to twice its size and initially the RAID will setup a new partition for that. If I remove that partiton again, the fist one will get all the space.Now, if that happens, will Open-E recognize that it's vdev has grown and make the new space available to create more volumes on that same unit?I don't use RAIDs that are directly connected to my DSS, but the DSS imports the FC LUNs from standalone RAID, like Infortrend ones. So the units on the DSS would show up to be from only one single drive.
    So to the DSS it would seem that a connected drive has grown - well maybe it's not too far away from a RAID set that grows. Maybe just hitting PV resize will do it…