Visit Open-E website

Thread: Problem creating iscsi volume

Default Problem creating iscsi volume

Hi,

we are using open-e build 4452 in 64bit mode. I have a storage box with 13 hdd's that is connected via FC to the open-e server. I build a new raid 6 with 7TB that is recognized as a new unit by open-e.
    So i created a new volume group. After that i choose the volume group and wanted to create a new isci volume with the setting "just volume" and the complete 7TB. Open-e said that it created the iscsi volume lv0100 succesfully but it didn't. There is no iscsi volume connected to the volume group and the complete volume group is still available as free space. To be sure i didn't make a mistake i deleted the complete raid set again. But after creating the raid and the volume group within open-e again, i still can't get the iscsi volume. Open-e again says lv0100 created but it's still not there.

Does anyone have an idea what is going wrong? Is it possible to reset some settings without rebooting the open-e server since i have running iscsi targets on the server?

Thanks

hi,
    somethimes i encounter similar problems.
    do you try to reboot your dss?

rogerk

Hi,

no i didn't try to reboot becausee i'm syncing our data from an old to a new open-e server. I don't want to stop the rsync job. Also since it's a storage server it should work without a reboot.

I tested a little further this morning and now it's working. Originally i had three volume groups:
    vg00 with iscsi volume lv0000 and lv0001
    vg01 with iscsi volume lv0100
    vg02 with iscsi volume lv0200

I deleted lv0100 and the raid behind vg01 since we exchanged the storage box. Then i created a new raid 6 and a new volume group with open-e but gave it again the name vg01. So the new iscsi volume i tried to create got the old name lv0100 too. That didn't work also open-e said that it did build the volume.

So i started again but this time i choose the volume name vg03. The iscsi volume is now lv0300 and it's working. Maybe it's just a problem with the volume name and open-e doesn't completely delete the old name and thinks the volume is still available?

What build of open-e do you use? I'm waiting for another 12 Hitachi 2TB drives and plan to update open-e to the newest build when the discs arrive.

thats indeed weired.
    maybe not a solution, but did you take a look in the extended console tools?
    CTRL+X -> and then point 14 or something else. I don't know how its called in english, maybe something like delete partitions.

There you can see all existing volume groups. Maybe there are still the entries of the created volume groups?

At the beginning, did you delete the volume group with the console, before you deleted the hardware raid volume? (note, if you delete the VG via the console you have to reboot the storage!)

If I am doing something like that, I always delete the VG, before I delete the hardware raid volume. (eg. raid5,6 and so on)

But just check via the extended console tools if there are any entries regarding to old volme groups. Maybe that clear things a little bit up.