Visit Open-E website

Thread: S/W RAID on OS partition possible?

Default S/W RAID on OS partition possible?

Hello,

We are evaluating this product and have a few questions. We have a server that has built-in motherboard RAID which DSS doesn't recognize, however using the S/W raid for the data storage is a solution. However, how can we make the 2GB DSS partition itself redundant? Obviously we cannot do this via hardware RAID since it's not recognized and will only allow us to install the software on a single drive as it's not recognizing logical drives. So once it is installed is it possible to make RAID1 array for the system partition in case of an OS drive failure? It doesn't seem to be available when selecting a new s/w RAID unit. Thank you.

Jeff

We dont have support for all onboard RAID controllers as there are too many and have different chipsets and drivers though some of the LSI controllers we do have support for. I would use the DSS full version to test with as the Lite does not have support unless you pay for the support for the Lite version + full version has hardware RAID support. You should be able to install the Lite in a drive then use the RAID 1 on the motherboard to make it work, this works with the full TRIAL version of the DSS V6.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Todd,

Thank you for responding, but I'm still a little confused. I understand that there won't be h/w RAID support which we can live with. We're not planning on purchasing the full version (yet) as we are only going to use a mirrored 2TB partition for testing for a while. I'm confused because first you said that not all hardware is supported, then you said if you buy the full version that it is supported.

Are you saying to install dss-lite on a single drive and then create a raid1 array? Don't we have to set that up beforehand and install on a single, logical drive? That was my original problem. Is there any way to create a s/w raid1 array on the OS partition AFTER the install is completed? Thanks.

Jeff

Trying to make this simple but if you take a hd and install the Lite on a formated fat 16 or 32 drive then use the MB bios of the controller to create the RAID 1 so you have some redundancy then use your other drives to use with our SW raid function. Or just use a USB flash stick to install the Lite. So as I said take a drive and format it then install Lite from lets say a windows system to make bootable then raid 1 it from the mb. I have not tested this with the lite version but should work as we tested this with the full version but should not take you but a few min to test.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube