Visit Open-E website

Thread: slow iSCSI

Default slow iSCSI

Hi guys, i'm hoping you can help me, I have recently setup our new network environment, we have two machines one as a HyperVisor Server to run our VMs and one as an iSCSI Server, I have set them up as recomended in this article http://www.open-e.com/solutions/open...-windows-2008/ except using 3 dedicated nics (all connected via gigabit) rather than 2.

I'm trying to get the two to communicate as fast as possible but my initial speed tests are nowhere near as high as the results i see others reporting. The VMs seem to work fine but the server to iScsi seems slow.

The Hardware is as below:

Broadberry Cyberstore (open-e DSS V6 iSCSI)
    1x E5506 Intel Quad-Core Xeon 2.13GHz
    3x 4GB 1333MHz DDR3
    3x 1TB Enterprise Class SAS2
    LSI MegaRAID 8704ELP 4 Port SAS/SATA RAID Controller
    1 x Intel® PRO/1000 PT Quad Port Server Adapter RJ45 10/100/1000
    Supermicro X8DTL-iF Motherboard with Dual Gigabit LAN

Broadberry Cyberserve (Windows 2008 R2 Hypervisor)
    2x E5520 Intel Quad-Core Xeon 2.26GHZ
    6x 4GB 1333MHz DDR3
    2x 500GB Enterprise Class SAS 7200RPM
    LSI MegaRAID 8704ELP SAS/SATA 4 Port RAID Controller
    1 x Intel® PRO/1000 PT Quad Port Server Adapter RJ45 10/100/1000
    Supermicro X8DTL-iF Motherboard with Dual Gigabit LAN

Speed wise, IOMETER just seems to sit for an age and build a massive test file but after many many hours it still hadn't finished creating the test file let alone testing and when i do abort the tests it says around 11mb/s.

I have used passmark advanced disc checker but the results don't seem to compare to those here. What settings should I be using to get a good comparison to other systems?

Real world moving of large files from the c: to the iScsi I'm getting around 60mb/s pulling files from the DSS and 80mb/s pushing large files to the iscsi what should i be expecting?

the weird thing is that if i look at the network traffic the three nics are load sharing beautifully but only appear to be using 10% of their usage should they not be nearly saturated?

thanks guys i know thats quite long and i hope it makes sense!

damn this should be in the DSS V6 not Lite forum

also real world tests give me approx 25mb/s when copying files on the iscsi