Visit Open-E website

Thread: Hardware Recomendations

Default Hardware Recomendations

Hello All,

I am looking for new Hardware for my open-e dss6 server and have narrowed it down to the following components.

Mainboard intel GP LX S3420
    CPU x3430 2,4 GHz
    16G ram Just because it is cheap
    and either a
    Adaptec 51645 16 port SAS / Sata controller or a 3Ware SAS 9750-16I4E Controller
    I prefer 3Ware over Adaptec However the 3Ware controller is not in the HCL For Open-e only the 8 port 9750.

The Raid will be connecting to 16 Sata Drives All Raid / Enterprise drives from WD and Segate.

This server will be doing ISCSI for my VSphere ESXi 4 servers.

What are your thoughts on this Config.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by cgnobi
    Hello All,

I am looking for new Hardware for my open-e dss6 server and have narrowed it down to the following components.

Mainboard intel GP LX S3420
    CPU x3430 2,4 GHz
    16G ram Just because it is cheap
    and either a
    Adaptec 51645 16 port SAS / Sata controller or a 3Ware SAS 9750-16I4E Controller
    I prefer 3Ware over Adaptec However the 3Ware controller is not in the HCL For Open-e only the 8 port 9750.

The Raid will be connecting to 16 Sata Drives All Raid / Enterprise drives from WD and Segate.

This server will be doing ISCSI for my VSphere ESXi 4 servers.

What are your thoughts on this Config.

Thanks in advance
    I have that model adaptec raid controller and have nothing bad to say about it!

ok thanks then i guess i will go with the adaptec.

ok thanks then i guess i will go with the adaptec.
    have a look at this thread.

after this we prefer the use of areca controller.
    they have also a much more better managent system than adaptec.

the error above is probably fixed in the latest release of dss v6.
    but we did not testet it, yet.

and after all this trouble we change our san software from open-e to datacore...

The mamnagement software is one of the things i really do like about the 3ware controllers. and one of the things that i do not like about the adaptec.

if you are refering to the thread (Link did not post) about the adaptec errors I have read through it and i believe it is resolved in the latest version.

I sent a message out to open-e about the controllers when I get a responce I will post it here.

Or if someone from open e could shed some light onto this issue here i would be gratefull.

Not sure on that link either but, ASM 6.5.x is next DSSV6 update, as well as latest from LSI, and Intel.
    YMMV..... some firmware udates to controllers required....

yep that was the discussion. you said that it will be fixed in the next release since then they have done several releases and updates and the adaptec driver has been updated in the latest 6.5 release. What kind of configuration tool does adaptec have now for there current controllers do they have a web interface yet?

@GR-R what does YMMV mean? and getting back to the original question on the search for a 16 port SAS/SATA controller that is in the HCL with preferably SAS600 Support any recomendations?

yep that was the discussion. you said that it will be fixed in the next release since then they have done several releases and updates and the adaptec driver has been updated in the latest 6.5 release. What kind of configuration tool does adaptec have now for there current controllers do they have a web interface yet?

@GR-R what does YMMV mean? and getting back to the original question on the search for a 16 port SAS/SATA controller that is in the HCL with preferably SAS600 Support any recomendations?
    Your Mileage May Vary....

I will check into the 16port cards for ya, as well as adaptec GUI.

That would be Great. I also just stumbled acoss a Areca ARC-1880ix-16 the specs look super with 1g of cach default. It is also in the hcl as drivers being supported.