Visit Open-E website

Thread: Fibre Channel Setup for Xserve

Default Fibre Channel Setup for Xserve

Hello guys, I'm having some trouble viewing and formatting the FC Volume I've created under the Open-e trial. I've outlined the steps I took to setup the volume in an effort to figure out where I may have gone wrong.

I have 6.0up55.8101.5087 64bit running on a custom backblaze server chassis housing 40 2TB drives. On board RAID controllers are not in use. Upon install I immediately setup two software RAID units MD0 (9315 GB RAID5) and MD1 (5589 GB RAID5).

I then created a new volume group VG0 and assigned both MD0 and MD1 to the group. Under the action menu I selected "new FC volume" and set it to initialize. There is no replication or snapshots being used on this volume. Total disk size comes in at 14896 GB with the 4 GB overhead for SWAP.

This was followed up by setting a new FC Group in FC target manager. Added to the new group was the logical volume lv000. A WWN HBA alias was created for the FC port on the initiating xserve. This new alias was assigned in the new group under "WWN alias access".

Finally, under Setup -> Fibre Channel, I set the corresponding QLogic port to target mode.

With this, I expected to see the raw logical volume in disk utility, but I did not. I'm curious if I have to wait until the disk is 100% initialized before I will see the volume appear.

It's worth noting that within System Profiler, under Fibre Channel I can see the following.

Fibre Channel Domain 3:
    Vendor: LSILogic
    Product: LSI7404EP
    Revision: Firmware 1.3.23.0, EFI 1.05.06.00
    Bus: PCI
    Slot: Slot-1
    Initiator Identifier: 126
    Node World Wide Name: 20:00:00:06:2B:1A:84:15
    Port World Wide Name: 10:00:00:06:2B:1A:84:15
    Address Identifier: 00:00:EF
    Description: Port 1
    Speed: Automatic (4 Gigabit)
    Topology: Automatic (Arbitrated Loop)
    Cable Type: Fiber Optic

Thanks for having a look!

I'm curious if I have to wait until the disk is 100% initialized before I will see the volume appear.
    I think this is correct.