Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel Gigabit ET2 Quad-Port Support?

Question Intel Gigabit ET2 Quad-Port Support?

Using trial version DSS V6.0 u55, build 5087...

Everything functions fine with two motherboard NICs. DSS seems to know that the four additional ports are there; however, DSS doesn’t install them as ethernet interfaces. I say that because there are four Intel Corporation Gigabit ET2 Quad Port Server Adapter listings under the Status/Hardware/Controllers info panel.

Specifications of the new Intel quad-port adapter:
    Name: Intel Gigabit ET2 Multi-Port Adapter
    Model: E1G44ET2
    Controller: Intel 82576
    Device ID: 1526
    Vendor ID: 8086

I notice that DSS has current product compatibility with five 82576-based Intel network interfaces with device IDs of 10C9, 10E6, 10E7, 10E8, and 150A. That being the case I have two questions:

1) When can we expect DSS to support the Intel E1G44ET2 ?

2) In the meantime, is there a way to install the new device with a driver that supports one the five older 82576-based Intel interface cards ?

Thank you for your support.

The Intel 82576 should work with the 8057, is all the firmware updated on the motherboard and try in a different slot.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

re: DSS V6 support for Intel Gigabit ET2 Quad (model E1G44ET2)

The motherboard has the latest bios and other PCI Express 2.0 slots have been tried as suggested; however, still unsuccessful.

Please confirm that DSS V6 build 5087 contains the Open-E patch reference by Newegg customer in a Dec 13 review, which I highlighted below.

Comments by Kevin, Dec 13 2010
    Great for link aggregation
    Pros: Fast, latest gen Intel card. Good price for what you get. Doesn't appear to get that hot.
    Cons: So new that some systems might not recognize it as of December 2010. Not Intel's fault though.
    Otros Pensamientos: I use a couple of these in some nice 2U 2950 servers. They are running Open-E DSSv6 in an HA setup. I had to get a patch from Open-E to run them. They told me that only 64-bit systems will be supported FYI. I'm bonding these using 802.3ad with an HP switch. I have Redhat Enterprise Virtualization hypervisors connecting to my SAN and it's very fast.

Comments obtained from Newegg link:
    http://espanol.newegg.com/Product/Pr...scrollHelpful1

Thank you for your support.

Send in a support ticket with the log so we can take a look at it, we have others using this card and working.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

heads up.... logs coming.....

It shows up in the logs:

08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
    08:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01) 09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
    09:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

Try to go into the Console screen and enter CTRL ALT T then select Boot options then select System parameters and disable all except for the SMP then save and reboot and see if this works.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Suggested reboot done after disabling ACPI, APM and IO-APIC boot options but still no drivers are loading for the Intel Gigabit ET2 Quad Port Adapter (E1G44ET2). As noted yesterday and since confirmed by your review of my startup logs; DSS V6 sees the ET2 adapter and actually reports it 4 times in C-A-T/Hardware Info/Network Controller as: Intel Corporation Gigabit ET2 Quad Port Server Adapter.

I also tried the additional test scenarios without success, each with the three boot options still disabled:

Scenario #1:
    With working Broadcom motherboard port disabled in BIOS.

Scenario #2:
    With working Broadcom NIC motherboard port disabled in BIOS.
    With working Intel RS2BL080 SAS-600 Raid removed.

Scenario #3:
    With working Broadcom NIC motherboard port disabled in BIOS.
    With working Intel RS2BL080 SAS-600 Raid removed.
    With Intel Gigabit ET2 adapter relocated from a PCI Exp 2.0 x8 slot to a x16 slot.

I am working hard to help pin-point the root cause...

I tested an additional DSS V6 installation scenario using a different server with a different working Intel Gigabit ET2 network adapter.

Scenario #4
    Server: Dell 2800
    Ram: 12 GB
    Processor: Two Xeon 3.2 processors (the single-core days).
    Onboard NICs: Dell Pro/1000 MT

The scenario #4 test results are the same as with the Dell T5400:
    1) the Intel Gigabit ET2 in listed in the GUI's hardware section
    2) no drivers are listed for the Gigabit ET2 in the GUI's driver info section

Thanks for the update we have asked the devs to jump on this asap. Greg should hear back from them tomorrow for you.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

gmrinc;

I have gathered the info I needed and moved this along.
    I hope to hear something tomorrow on this.