Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Many issues iSCSI Enterprise R3

Question Many issues iSCSI Enterprise R3

Hello,

I am having numerous issues with the iSCSI-R3. First - your site will not allow me to register as it keeps saying my serial# is not in your database. Unit was purchased through Storage-Order and delivered this week. The serial number is what is on the box and what is showing up in the browser. Unit is:

Version: 2.00IE20000000.2438
    Release date: 2006-12-11

Second - under volume manager it shows Unit S001 as available (8 200GB drives in RAID 5 on an Adaptec 2810SA controller - the controller shows the array as optimal). If I try to add a new volume group (doesn't matter what name I try to use) and click apply it just comes back to the same settings showing the unit is still available and nothing is showing up under Vol. groups. Also I am hearing intermittent beeps with no real pattern. The web page does show this error as soon as you go to the volume manager tab which I have not seen on any other pages where things function properly:

Line: 100
    Char: 2839
    Error: Expected identifier, string or number
    Code: 0
    URL: https://192.168.1.35/index.php?module=main&id=1.5

Many pages don't allow me to do anything since they show the Warning No system volume found message. The pages I can access all seem to work fine, allow me to make changes and they stick. I already tried the C+A+X and deleted the unit contents - didn't make a difference.

Third - when I try to download the manual from the browser I only get the first 4 pages (the file size only shows as 114 KB).

System is a Dell PowerEdge 700, 2.8 Ghz processor (hyperhtreaded), 1.5Gb memory, 2 Adaptec 2810SA Controllers, no other cards installed, no IDE drives, 1 floppy.

There is no internal USB ports on this motherboard, so I had to modify a USB cable to work with your included adapter cable. That is plugged in to the rear USB port and fed back into the case. I really don't think that is the issue though since all other functions seem to work OK (boots up fine says self test is OK, etc..). It's just that one page in the browser that shows the error message warning that doesn't seem to apply the settings as a result. The browser is Internet Explorer version 6. I've tried multiple machines here and the error message shows up on all of them and the result is always the same.

Help!

Terry

In the console screen you should have the serial number listed under the Release date or you can go to the GUI click on the Help tab then click on the About Open-E .. You should see the serial number there.

Could you try to use Firefox web browser instead of Internet Explorer. Download Firefox from below to see if the Volume Groups are added. It looks like the system is seeing the Volume Groups because you are able to delete them in the Extended tools. Also test Firefox with the manual again and let me know.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

There should be some USB pins on the motherboard. Sometimes you will see the external USB ports connected to the motherboard with internal cables - see if you can locate them.

For additional help please call the support number 770-881-7680.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Todd,

The serial number is the same in the browser, console, on the box and the unit itself, I just didn't want to list it here.

I will try Firefox and post back if that works.

As to the motherboard, the area where there would have been an internal USB header there are no pins mounted there. Dell typically does this type of thing - even newer servers of theirs are very proprietary like that using specialized connectors, etc..

Terry

Todd,

Firefox allowed me to add the volume.

As to the manual, it still only has 3 pages when downloaded.

Serial number issue still will need addressed as well.

What are the random beeps? Is this just letting you know a command was issued or carried out?

Thanks for the help so far. Off to do some testing.....

Terry

Can you send me a screen shot of the console. Can you send me the motherboard model number so I can look it up or send me the link of the manufacture of that motherboard.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Just to get you going you can download the manual from the link below. Download the DSS manual all iSCSI information is on this manual with NAS info. Just disregard the NAS information. Concerning the beeps we don't issue sound identifications in our software so this is mostly related or possibly in the BIOS setup. Are the beeps happening when you issue a command in the Console or Web GUI?

Select the : Open-E DSS EN

http://www.open-e.com/data_storage_s...serv=downloads
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

In researching the motherboard to see if possibly Dell's front panel connector may have had the internal USB connectors rerouted to it I came up with nothing. The motherboards Dell uses are made just for them and you can't find out who the manufacturer was (at least I never could). The Dell site only shows basic info as to the motherboard connections, replacing CPU, memory,etc... Not sure if this link will work for you:

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...dhs&redirect=1

Not sure how to do a screen shot of the console - browser I could for whatever page you wanted.

Terry

Beeps are somewhat random - but seem to happen more often when I am doing something from the console, browser - or as an example I just formatted a target and started to copy a large folder over to it. It randomly beeped at first seemed to have stopped and then you get a random beep or two every so often. I turned off the speaker in bios, so it shouldn't be coming from the motherboard......

Downloaded the manual you advised.

I really appreciate your help.

Terry

OK that link didn't go directly to the page, but on that page if you select PowerEdge then 700 that will take you to the info

You are right they don't have the USB Pins (crazy as most Motherboards do these days). Are you using the external USB cable with our DOM. If not contact Storage Order to get you one.
    Get me a screen shot from the GUI showing no serial number. Send it to support@open-e.com.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"