Visit Open-E website

Thread: Problem upgrading 4786 to 5087

Default Problem upgrading 4786 to 5087

Hi,

having an 4786 system in idle state (no connection, it's for testing the upgrade process before I start it on the productive system), I can't upgrade online to 5087:

- Under "System software update", I tried to upload the 5087 ISO. The GUI becomes gray and tells me something like "don't touch , wait for completion" . The next day, it*'s always gray, and no new version is uploaded.

- Under " Update downloader", I click CHECK. It runs, it tells that it's downloading and counts some MBs of download, and then, it's over and nothing has happened. BTW, something has happened: for each try, the "Available space " is reduced for some MB. Filled with download garbage, I guess.

Is this a known problem? I was in hope that update is possible instead of reinstallation and reconfiguration. But it seems not working (on a system without load!) Or do I something wrong?

Regards,

Robert

Do you have any NAS volumes ? If so try to go into the Extended tools from the Console screen and run the "Repair Filesystem" then reboot and try again. Make sure there is enough space when updating and if there are other versions from the past that you can delete.

Let us know what happens.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Default No effect

No effect.

This is a test system that has 3 volumes with 8 GB each and doesn't share/export any volume. No replication, no failover, no backup .... It's running idle.

It is a USB dongle system branded by transtec. It's running on a 1 GB USB dongle. Before I started the trial operations for upgrade, there was one instance of open-e present in the S/W update sections:

6.0up50.xxxx.4786 2010-09-29 b4786 357.4 (MB)

There were more than 600 MB free in the system.

When I tried tio upload the 5087 iso which has 370 MB, it timed out (not yet completed after one day).
    I tried this several times, and with some tasks, the free space was reduced by some MB arbitrary.

Then, I used the "check" button to search for updates online. It finds a 370 MB update (obviously the right size, e.g. the right one), uploads, and nothing happens. I tried this several times again, and, again, with some of these tasks, he free space was reduced by some MB again.

Now, there are 424MB available space, but no new update file is present in the Version list.

Last, I tried to follow Todd's idea: Repair Filesystem in console and then a reboot. No effect.

This seems to me that the uploads/downloads have been ineffective but left some garbage data in the filesystem. This is no thing of filesystem damage, it a functional failure and left data garbage that can't be wiped because of the limitations of Open-e's GUI and console.

Or what?

In my experience, the GUI is the hitch with Open-e. It's not operable so often.

Best,

Robert

Can you send in the logs to support or pre-sales@open-e.com so we can take a look to see what is happening, typically there could be something wrong with the USB or other issue, paste this link when sending them in.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube