Visit Open-E website

Thread: Virtual Iron and updated DSS

Default Virtual Iron and updated DSS

Good afternoon, all!

We're one of the shops still running Virtual Iron, version 4.5.16.11. We're planning a migration to Citrix XenServer, but not until third or fourth quarter. Meanwhile, our running DSS versions are quite old - running well, but old.

First question: what is the latest build that VI will reliably run? I'm pretty sure the update to IETD 1.4.20.2 will break VI.

Second question: what kind of pitfalls and perils might I encounter in migrating over to Citrix? My thoughts so far are to create XenServer hosts, uninstall VSTools and then run XenConvert on my Windows servers and just backup and restore on my Linux servers. Any thoughts on perhaps easing the pain and agony of this migration?

Thanks to all!

Gregg

dude .......
    Maybe one of the VI guys can chime in here.

vmware.....maybe I could come up with something...... but VI, removes me from the conversation, lol.

edit: To-M, may be able to help ya on the Xen side...

I've been testing VI 4.5 and 6.0up55.8101.5042. I didn't experience any breakage so i believe you will be ok. Are you doing a direct upgrade or a new system?

I can't speak confidently on your migration to Citrix Xen, but I can't see why you'd have any problems on your HVM guests.