Visit Open-E website

Thread: Snapshot overflow error. Partial transfer due to error

Question Snapshot overflow error. Partial transfer due to error

Hi, We're getting these errors sometimes when there is an unusually high level of new files written when using data replication.

The snapshot size is ok 99% of the time, but I was wondering if it fails 1 time and we don't get an error on the next run, has it picked up the changes not written previously?

So in this case it wouldn't be a problem as data is then synced ok on the next run?

Just want to be clear on this as we'd have to increase our snapshot size to be much bigger just on the off-chance we get a lot of changes.

But, how do we go about resizing our LV if the storage is full, is there a way to shrink the LV freeing space to create a bigger snapshot? If not will we have to add additional storage to use this for snapshot space?

It would be great if someone can clear this up for us as we're in evaluation right now and are keen to purchase!

Thanks

Jools

You can increase any of the Logical Volumes including the Snapshot, just go where you created the NAS or iSCSI Logical Volume and select "Modify" for that Logical Volume. We do not have a way to shrink a Logical Volume. Link below has allot of details on how our snapshot works.

http://www.open-e.com/library/how-to-resources/
    Open-E Snapshots
    # 2010.12 Description of Open-E Snapshot

http://www.open-e.com/library/webcasts-and-videos/
    2010.12 How to work with Snapshots and how to replicate your data
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thanks for the information, very useful. I now realize that unless we have a large snapshot size that is definitely bigger than any changes to the main volume corruption can occur as snapshot space is exhausted.

So make sure snapshot volumes are big enough!

In fact what we're doing now is when we want to copy a large amount of data over we just turn off the snapshot task make sure current running task is all finished then do the copying, turn task back on when copying completed.

It then seems that the data replication can catch up with all the changes made since the task was stopped?

Have I got this right?

Yes this will work or just like you said know what is the amount of changes you will by 3X though this can be tough to know as well, so I just go with 12-15% of the size of the Snapshot to the NAS volume.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube