Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volume replication via WAN problems

Default Volume replication via WAN problems

I have two low-end test systems configured in a WAN scenario, can ping each one from the other. One 100MBPS NIC per unit, 2GB RAM, each using the same version .5807 of 64-bit. Source unit boots via SATA HDD, destnation boots via USB.

Using your HOW-TO synchronous replication over WAN document, I walk through the configuration successfully to the point where I'm ready to start replication task.

My problem comes into play when I START replication manually using the start button, the source server gives me a page reload error and seems to lose it's IP address and lockup.

I did not setup a replication task, as I thught it would replicate continuosly and not need a scheduled task. At this point, I can't loin via HTTPS, nor will any initiator find the DSS source unit. Destination unit seems to stay stable.

Can someone start me trouble-shooting or see my problem from what I've said here?

Thanks very much.

Check to see if you have more then 1 Gateway on other NICs.

Do a CTRL ALT N from the Console screen and look at the NICs info to see if there are any dropped packets.

Duplicate DSS V6 names on the network?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Check to see if you have more then 1 Gateway on other NICs. [DSS is the unit name at corporate HQ and is configured as SOURCE, it has two NIC's, but eth1 is inactive. eth0: IP=172.17.2.160, Gateway=172.17.2.1 DSSDR is the unit name is at disaster recovery location, it has one NIC, etho: IP=192.168.1.160, GW=192.168.1.1]

Do a CTRL ALT N from the Console screen and look at the NICs info to see if there are any dropped packets. [no dropped packets on either unit]

Duplicate DSS V6 names on the network? [no, the units are on different networks]

Both WAN connection's firewall logs indicate communications on ports 12000 and 40000, but the connection doesn't seem to sustain itself before locking up.

DSS, the SOURCE unit puts itself into a state where it can't be connected to via HTTPS, but the console is OK.

One other note: DSS has a software RAID1 which was created using LITE version before realizing LITE doesn't support WAN replication, DSSDR has only one SATA drive and boots from USB.

Thanks very much.

That's 12000 to 13999 yes? You said it locks up after trying the connection?

I was thinking if you can test with the Data Replication something small with want port 873 open to atleast we know the connection be established - is this possible?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

That's 12000 to 13999 yes? [I see only 12000 and 40000 in the logs.]

You said it locks up after trying the connection? [it locks up a few seconds after I manually start the replication using the START button. I get some errors, and even saw an OK status in TASKS, but it loses the connection and locks up after a few seconds.}

I was thinking if you can test with the Data Replication something small with want port 873 open to atleast we know the connection be established - is this possible? [I can try this, but wouldn't you agree that the connection is established by the mere fact that the SOURCE sees the destination volume once I add the mirror IP's? Cinsidering your suggested test, what do I do with port 873, forward it to SOURCE and DESTINATION DSS V6 units?]

Thanks.

So ports 12000-13999 is open ? Not just 12000 correct?

Can you provide some of the error messages?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

So ports 12000-13999 is open ? Not just 12000 correct? [yes, that's correct]

Can you provide some of the error messages?[

2011/02/16 19:25:23 Replication:Volume Replication: Device lv0001: Connection (from WFConnection to SyncTarget). Mode local/remote (from Secondary/Unknown to Secondary/Primary). DataStatus local/remote (from Inconsistent/DUnknown to Inconsistent/Consistent).

2011/02/16 19:25:34 Replication:Volume Replication: Device lv0001: Connection (from SyncTarget to WFConnection). Mode local/remote (from Secondary/Primary to Secondary/Unknown). DataStatus local/remote (from Inconsistent/Consistent to Inconsistent/DUnknown).

2011/02/16 19:13:58 Replication:Volume Replication: Device lv0001:Mode local/remote (from Primary/Unknown to Secondary/Unknown).

2011/02/16 19:23:09 Replication:Volume Replication: Device lv0001: Connection (from StandAlone to SyncTarget). Mode local/remote (from Secondary/Unknown to Secondary/Primary). DataStatus local/remote (from Consistent/DUnknown to Inconsistent/Consistent).

2011/02/17 16:30:54 Replication:Volume Replication: Device lv0000: Connection (from StandAlone to SyncSource). Mode local/remote (from Primary/Unknown to Primary/Secondary). DataStatus local/remote (from Consistent/Outdated to Consistent/Inconsistent).

2011/02/17 16:20:24 Replication:Volume Replication: Device lv0000: Connection (from StandAlone to SyncSource). Mode local/remote (from Primary/Unknown to Primary/Secondary). DataStatus local/remote (from Consistent/DUnknown to Consistent/Inconsistent).

2011/02/17 16:20:42 Replication:Volume Replication: Device lv0000: Connection (from SyncSource to WFConnection). Mode local/remote (from Primary/Secondary to Primary/Unknown).

2011/02/17 16:30:54 Replication:Volume Replication: Device lv0000: Connection (from StandAlone to SyncSource). Mode local/remote (from Primary/Unknown to Primary/Secondary). DataStatus local/remote (from Consistent/Outdated to Consistent/Inconsistent).
    ]

Thank you.

Can you provide log files?

How much data is to replicate, and how many volumes? How large are the volumes?
    What type of replicaton speeds have you set for the replication tasks?
    Have you manipulated frame size on the NIC's or routers?

Yes looks like its flipping back and forth on the connection.

What is the WAN pipe size and what was the bandwidth set for?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Can you provide log files? [I can't use the GUI because the IP address is inaccessible until I somehow figure out what change I can make to allow access. Is there another way?]

How much data is to replicate, and how many volumes? How large are the volumes?
    What type of replicaton speeds have you set for the replication tasks?
    Have you manipulated frame size on the NIC's or routers?[there is not data, I havent even connected to the iSCSI tartget (SOURCE) to place any files on it. As a newbie, if it wasn't in the how-to, I haven't done it yet. The replication speed is at the default I believe it's 40, 40 what I don't know. I've done nothing to frames, on NIC's or routers.]

Thank you!