Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change DSS hostname

Albury, New South Wales, Australia, Earth

Default Change DSS hostname

Hi guys,

At what point can I change the "hostname" on my DSS machine without causing any issues.

I setup my primary SAN and completed the setup of the volume replication and just synced all my LV's between the primary and secondary node.
    At this point I noticed I forgot to change the primaru machine hostname (I did on the secondary node when I first did the install). I haven't setup iSCSI failover, is it too late for me to change the hostname?

Cheers
    Ad

I'd go ahead and make the change right now. You won't be allowed to configure iSCSI failover if both hostnames match anyway.
    Keep in mind that DSSv6 distinguishes between the server name and the hostname. Feel free to change them both.

Quote Originally Posted by enealDC
    I'd go ahead and make the change right now. You won't be allowed to configure iSCSI failover if both hostnames match anyway.
    Keep in mind that DSSv6 distinguishes between the server name and the hostname. Feel free to change them both.
    So even though I've already setup volume replication and it has synced (iscsi vol rep) I should still be able to change the hostname of my primary and it won't effect the volume (drbd) side of things?

Cheers
    Adam

I can't say for sure, but I believe replication is not hostname dependant. Changing the hostname should not cause you any problems in this regard.

from DSS V6 Manual, page 29

Function: Hostname
    Hostname is one of the names used to identify this machine. It is primarily used for internal processes (most importantly, iSCSI failover and volume replication). It is different from the server name in that server name is primarily used for NAS protocols.
    Hostname needs to start with a lowercase letter; the other characters may consist of lowercase letters, digits, minus signs and dots.
    NOTE It is not possible to change the hostname while the failover service is running.
    NOTE Changing hostname requires a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr-R
    from DSS V6 Manual, page 29

Function: Hostname
    Hostname is one of the names used to identify this machine. It is primarily used for internal processes (most importantly, iSCSI failover and volume replication). It is different from the server name in that server name is primarily used for NAS protocols.
    Hostname needs to start with a lowercase letter; the other characters may consist of lowercase letters, digits, minus signs and dots.
    NOTE It is not possible to change the hostname while the failover service is running.
    NOTE Changing hostname requires a reboot.

So is that a Yes I will have a problem? or a No I should be fine?
    I DO have volume replication in place and is configured, but I haven't done the iSCSI failover yet.

Cheers
    Adam

Yes you will have a problem. keep a copy of your data to be sure that it will be in safe.

I'm not sure how he will have a problem. At most, it will simply break the replication which at the MOST would require a full resync. Changing the hostname of the server does not delete data.

I think what AL is referring to here is the potential to affect replication tasks, and approach it in a safe manner. Always a good thing.
    We can be reminded of this enough.....

I would agree, if the volumes are consistant, this isnt going to be an issue as the tasks can easily be recreated with the exact same names, after the change.

This type of change is not going to affect data on drive.

Since this is a Network change (so to speak), several things could be affected (beyond DSS).
    I suggest looking at everything involved before making a change in this area.

Default Follow-up on hostname

I need to check on the hostname issue myself.

Just cleaning up from a USB-DOM failure where I moved the DOM from the backup server to the production server. I had some replications running but shut those all down until I could get the new DOM. So I have a functioning production server with a hostname I would like to change. I've had some unintended consequences changing hostnames on Linux machines, so I wanted to triple check.

Not only that, I found out that not only are the DOM's no longer supplied but that best practice is to install to a separate partition. We originally installed with the USB-DOM as the boot device and the RAID as a single volume group 00. Now, because of this failure, we need to install to a real device. I put a single SATA drive in the server, and now the CD boot gives me a warning about something called "fake RAID." What is this, and why is it only on a single drive?

Thanks!

Gregg