Visit Open-E website

Thread: SCST VPD 1 vs 2 w/ (ESXi 3.5 & ESXi 4.1)

Question SCST VPD 1 vs 2 w/ (ESXi 3.5 & ESXi 4.1)

We have both ESXi 3.5 and ESXi 4.1 servers running and accessing our DSS v6 server. We are setting up a second DSS v6 server running the latest version and I need to know if both ESXi 3.5 and ESXi 4.1 servers can connect to the iSCSI targets if SCST VPD 2.0 is in use on the DSS Server.. If not, what are the disadvantages of switching to SCST VPD 1.0 for both?

Thank you!

- D2G

Yes, 3.5 and 4.x can connect.
    The VPD change will be required for 3.5, and it needs to be the same setting on both nodes. (VPD=1)

Gotcha - what are the drawbacks for using 1.0 vs 2.0? We may leave the 3.5 servers off the SAN if it makes a difference..

Thanks!

The bigger issue is compatibility with the virtual host and SCST, after updating. On clean installs, it isnt such a big deal.

Attached are SCST changes -->2.0x

I have a similar question related to VPD 1 vs 2. It seems the behaviour of VPD 2 is to reply back with all IP addresses including the one we use for management. We don't want this IP to appear in our path list for ESX, so what is the best practise to deal with this? I can remove the management IP address from the Static Discovery tab, but will the management IP re-appear the next time the ESX server is restarted? Is it best to use VPD 1 as this doesn't broadcast back all IP addresses it seems?

Thanks for any input,
    Tim

Actually this is by design currently.
    In the near future will have the ability to choose with NIC has target broadcast.
    In the interim, you can use the Allow and Deny rules at each target to make sure proper connections.

Lightbulb

I've had much better results with VPD 1 than with VPD 2 when it comes to ESX 4.x.