Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: egrep: /proc/bus/usb/devices: No such file or directory

Default egrep: /proc/bus/usb/devices: No such file or directory

I am currently trying to install Open-E DSS V6 Lite on a newly built system
    it is running a RAID5 array across 3 500gb WD HDDs.

In the RAID controller, I created a 2gb RAID5 volume, and then another volume with the remaining capacity that will be used for storage.
    I believe this setup is correct based on the videos and my own research, however when i try to load DSS V6 from a bootable DVD or USB i get the following error...

egrep: /proc/bus/usb/devices: No such file or directory
    #

this occures after the screen allowing you to select the 32/64bit read only versions, as well as the Software installed.
    all options produce the same error after a short loading screen

I have tried as many different RAID configurations as I can think of, as well as not even setting up any arrays. I also tried disabling all USB functionality in the BIOS, still no luck.

Any recommendations?

Try to disable USB 2.0 in the Motherboard BIOS and/or add "nousb2" to
    boot loader string while the system is booting press "Tab" key on "Select kernel" screen then type "nousb2" and press "Enter" (in order to run the system usb2).

Also DSS V6 LITE does not have RAID Controller support - please read the link below. Only the full version does.

http://www.open-e.com/products/open-...te/comparison/
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    Try to disable USB 2.0 in the Motherboard BIOS and/or add "nousb2" to
    boot loader string while the system is booting press "Tab" key on "Select kernel" screen then type "nousb2" and press "Enter" (in order to run the system usb2).

Also DSS V6 LITE does not have RAID Controller support - please read the link below. Only the full version does.

http://www.open-e.com/products/open-...te/comparison/
    Thank you for your quick reply!
    I disabled the RAID array, and set the SATA configuration to AHCI (also tried IDE)

I tried adding "nousb2" to any and all strings in the loading screen, unforunately no luck (I assume I am supose to add a space before it, and put it at the end of the string).

I forgot to mention this Motherboard has USB 3.0 support, which I tried disabling in the BIOS. I tried adding nousb3 to the string as well but I'm unsure if thats the correct.

every variation, all the same result, still getting the error.

What type of Motherboard is this and can you test with another system to make sure the USB does work?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    What type of Motherboard is this and can you test with another system to make sure the USB does work?
    It is an ASUS P7H57D-V EVO

I tested the boot media on another workstation (a Dell Optiplex 745) and it does not get the error.

I tried disconnecting the HDDs on both the ASUS P7H and the Optiplex, Optiplex will run fine in read-only mode but the P7H still gets the error.

It is also to go on two essentially identical P7H machines, which are both encountering the same error.

both machines are able to navigate the initial selection menus with either a usb or PS/2 keyboard with no problems. It is just the P7H that gets the error after I select the software installer

I tried removing the 'nousb2' string, the error still occurs, the only difference is it is displayed twice on 2 lines instead of just once, which is the similar to what happens when I tried disabling the USB controller in the BIOS.

(formatting fix) It is an ASUS P7H57D-V EVO

I tested the boot media on another workstation (a Dell Optiplex 745) and it does not get the error.

I tried disconnecting the HDDs on both the ASUS P7H and the Optiplex, Optiplex will run fine in read-only mode but the P7H still gets the error.

It is also to go on two essentially identical P7H machines, which are both encountering the same error.

both machines are able to navigate the initial selection menus with either a usb or PS/2 keyboard with no problems. It is just the P7H that gets the error after I select the software installer

I tried removing the 'nousb2' string, the error still occurs, the only difference is it is displayed twice on 2 lines instead of just once, which is the similar to what happens when I tried disabling the USB controller in the BIOS.

Something on the MB is blowing out the USB - is there any firmware updates for the motherboard - kill all pwr management features as well.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Ive looked over the specs on this board at Asus, and it looks like a great board for a home Win7 machine with great graphics capablilities.
    With that said, I'm unsure it would make a good Linux based storage platform.
    There does seem to be a bios update for linux on this board.

Are you using this controller:
    MarvellŪ 88SE6111