Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESX4 losing Disk Connectivity to FC Volume

Unhappy

Hi I am still struggling to resolve this issue, I only get the problem when I am moving/migrating virtual computers to the open-e FC volumes, doing the same to Sanmelody Datacore FC volumes on the same esx server works fine. Tired different server hardware/fibre cards and 2 x brocade sikworm switches. I have raised with support and so far nothing possitive.

I have tried ESX 3.5 and 4, vm powered on or off still the same. Any one else experianced this let me know

Default same here

Quote Originally Posted by gharding
    Hi I am still struggling to resolve this issue, I only get the problem when I am moving/migrating virtual computers to the open-e FC volumes, doing the same to Sanmelody Datacore FC volumes on the same esx server works fine. Tired different server hardware/fibre cards and 2 x brocade sikworm switches. I have raised with support and so far nothing possitive.

I have tried ESX 3.5 and 4, vm powered on or off still the same. Any one else experianced this let me know

Hi gharding ,

any luck on this one , our customer has a similar problem.

1 x Open-E SAN and 4 x ESXi 4

We've been true:
    1) small update for FC driver
    2) enable chache on the RAID controller
    3) swap all HDDs for SAS only
    4) Update Open-E to the latest
    5) replace FC HBA

VMware has checked their ESX boxes and IBM done the FC switches checks - all pointing to our SAN.

We have changed the Fibre Channel Volume to WT when assigning it to a FC Group in DSS, that has stop the disconnect errors in vmware but has shown a perfromance decrease but we think that is down to the raid card that we will be replacing. Fingers crossed. Let me know how you get on if you try this.

Thanks Gavin

Well I think it is finally resolved, we swapped the HP and Dell raid card with an LSI Megaraid 9620-8i and set the settings as per open-e performance document for LSI and even with WT unchecked on the Volume we are getting no errors and very good performance.

Unfortunatley we are still experiencing the problems, wider if we need to upgrade to 8GB fibre, anyone else had this issue

I have found this article and it seems that there may be an issue with vmware ESX4 and storage servers not just open-e. http://communities.vmware.com/thread/228916