Visit Open-E website

Thread: Reboot Recomendation

Question Reboot Recomendation

We have had open-e V6 with Iscsi Failover working in production for several weeks now and it is working perfectly.

I am wondering if I should plan a regular restart for these systems to keep them running fast and stable? If this is recommended what is a recommended frequency?

Thank you

Not really any need to schedule anything.
    As updates are released and applied, you will reboot at that point.

My opinion is that you routinely test failover - say once a quarter and that you reboot during that time.
    There is nothing like sh%% hitting the fan and then hitting you right in your face. You want to be confident in your systems' ability to perform to spec. Frequent testing ensures just that.

Quote Originally Posted by enealDC
    My opinion is that you routinely test failover - say once a quarter and that you reboot during that time.
    There is nothing like sh%% hitting the fan and then hitting you right in your face. You want to be confident in your systems' ability to perform to spec. Frequent testing ensures just that.
    Very True, and backups, backups, backups... can't say that enough around here!

Some of our customers keep there system running for more than one year without any reboot. and the speed is always great.

So if you keep admin you system, as doing backup, update it when updates are available, your hardware is good enough for your enviroment, then it should work fine.

Thank you all for your quick responses.

I will be doing Quarterly testing and disaster preparedness training.

There a couple other IT managers for other business in my area that after a lot of testing of open-e as well as Starwind and San Melody have chosen Open-E DSS. Speed, Simplicity, Stability and Price were all factors important factors. We are all basically one person IT Shops and have have banded together to help during system emergencies and to cover for each other for vacations. Quarterly testing of fail over and system restores after hardware failure will help keep us trained and hopefully prepared.: eek: