Visit Open-E website
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Using dynamic volume for initial data replication

Hi Todd!
    So, finally I created a 10 GB iSCSI volume and mounted it via WAN on the source dss. The backup db is saved on this iSCSI share and the backup to the Dynamic Volume has been through this night.
    How Do I now savely remove the iSCSI volume, without deleting the backup DB?
    Normally I would unselect the backup function, then remove the LogicalVolume and finally use the CLI Tools with Ctrl-Alt-X to remove the partition vg02 (and restart).
    While doing the restart, I could also pull the USB cable of the DynamicVolume.

Will all the data be preserved with these steps?
    Thanks again for the feedback!

Just go to the iSCSI Initiator and click to remove it then restart and pull the Dynamic unit then on the other DSS just use the built iSCSI Initiator with the Unit that you pulled. Dont delete anything as you dont need to.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi Todd!
    Thank you for the reply, I wish it would be so easy....

When I go to the iSCSI initiator, on the portals page I read "Please disconnect from Target first". When I go to the target manager, I read "Volume Group exist, connection to target can not be interrupted". So there is no chance for me to remove the iSCSI connection without removing LV and VG?!?! Or am I wrong...

Sorry you are correct, I just tested it and what you need to do is un-mount the Target then you can remove the connection from the server at SETUP -> iSCSI Initiator -> Portals -> and click on the disconnect and remove the IP Address from the portal so it does not reconnect. Then re-enable the Target on the DSS then use the SETUP -> iSCSI Initiator on to connect to the Target via it's own IP Address (dont worry about the message as this is only temporary to get your data restored).

Sorry about the write doc on this as this is an explored idea on how to get your data restored and is unconventional from our practices but I tested it and works - let me know how it ends.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

You write "unmount the volume". But how?
    Remove the LV first and then remove the VG via CLI tools?

From the Target Manager go to the Target then select the "-" sign to unmount the Target then you will be able to go into the iSCSI Initiator to remove the Target and the IP.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

So when doing the restore I failed to found the backup database. Maybe I used a wrong order... I first activated the backup function and the iSCSI volume on the destination system, without the Dynamic Volume connected. Anyway, I could not get the setup for restoring the data.

But after thinking about this topic the last days, I remembered my test machine for Open-E which was still sitting under my desk. Just a cheap office PC, some years old, call it "backup PC" for my office. I still had the USB stick with Open-E on it lying around, I put in a suitable hard drive and started a volume replication from my main DSS to this machine.

Next I shipped this machine to the destination place for WAN setup and there I simply converted the replication target to a source and finally did a Data Replication from the PC over the the destination DSS.

Now, both machine, source and destination have almost the same state. I only needed to setup the Data Replication over WAN and I am done.

Very easy, you just need a spare machine with a suitable hard drive. For Open-E I used a testing license of course.