Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using dynamic volume for initial data replication

Default Using dynamic volume for initial data replication

Hi!

I want to set up "Data Replication over WAN" for a 600 GB NAS volume, using a 4 MBit link.

How can I do the initial sync? Do I need to bring the destination machine physically to the source to make the initial sync via LAN?

Or is it possible to use an USB volume as Dynamic Volume and use the backup function? I thought about doing a backup on the source machine and then do a restore on the destination machine! Is this working?

Best Regards,
    prahn

Good question with the Data Replication over WAN.

I think for cost reasons to ship the server back to be replicated would be costly unless you have this in the budget then good idea.

Or if you can take a USB drive or SATA (Windows formatted) and copy the data then ship to the destination server then use the "Add on's" tool from the Console screen go to CTRL ALT T then select "Add Ons" then seek the drive then select the share where you wish copy then you are good to go.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

What about the Backup Funktion with a Dynamic Volume?
    Is it possible to do a restore on another DSS?

I believe this can be done with the newer version, you might have to copy the backup database from the NAS share that was created with the Backup function then restore this on the other system then do the restore from dynamic unit.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Okay, my backup is done now, but how do I unmount the dynamic volume??

Ok catching up on this topic with the Backup/Dynamic Unit.

The way this will work is that you will need to create a iSCSI Target 5GB is all you need from the Remote site then have this connected outbound from the Firewall on port 3260.

Then use the built in iSCSI initiator from the DSS V6 that has the Dynamic unit then create a separate Volume Group (please make sure it will be the same VG01 to VG01 on both later when we reconnect it to the remote server internally) and make a small NAS volume then set the Backup Database to that iSCSI volume Group NAS logical volume that you created (this will be where you will keep the backup database safe).

Then make your backup to the Dynamic unit. Once the backup is done then disconnect the iSCSI initiator and the Dynamic Unit to be removed and shipped then place the Dynamic unit in the system that you want to restore the shares.

Then use the iSCSI initiator on the system that you are going to restore the files from the Dynamic Unit and use its IP Address to connect to itself. The Volume Group will show as the same and the NAS logical volumes will show up as well where the backup database is stored onto. Then run the Restore with the task name that you used to backup from the first system.

Your shares will be restored.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Ok, sounds like a good workflow, I will try it like this. Thank you!
    But one question is still unandwered:
    How do I unmount the dynamic volume?

Just restart the system or shutdown and reboot and it will not show up.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Well, this is really strange! For unmounting a volume, I need to restart?!
    At the moment I have no problem with this, as we are still in testing state!

But when we will start production state, we will have some VMs running on iSCSI, so restarting will not be so easy... I thought about using a Dynamic Volume for offline backup to an external hard disk... :-(

My setup was more aggressive and I just pulled the USB cable from the system and did a rescan. I was not aware of this until now that you tell me so hard for me to know this without some background from you on your setup. If this is the case then test the immediate dismount live from the system and do a rescan as I did.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"