Visit Open-E website

Thread: NAS XSR vs NAS R3

Default NAS XSR vs NAS R3

NAS XSR vs NAS R3

I currently own a NAS XSR, are there any features in R3 that are not yet or will not be available in XSR ?
    In other words, do i need to upgrade at some point ? or are there extra benefits from upgrading from xsr to R3 ?

The NAS R-3 versions are built from the DSS (Data Storage Server) engine, this means that one update will be for all updates. In NAS XSR versions - there are separate versions and separate updates. With these capabilities updates are significantly improved. But if your NAS XSR version is working properly with using the IDE DOM then why change? Remember the NAS R-3 versions are on a USB DOM so there is a physical difference. You can review the NAS R-3 by downloading the DSS Demo-CD and use the NAS portion of DSS to experience the NAS R-3.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thank you for your response, but it's still not quite clear to me if there are any new or updated features avialable in r3 which are not available in xsr.

I don't want to upgrade right now but im intrested in any new or updated features, and wondering what will happen to the xsr product, will you continue to bring new features for the xsr platform too.

Currently there are no updates for the NAS R-3 versions. We will have updates availble for them but no date has been set. The XSR will have updates but not as part of the R-3 family. The reason for this is because the R-3 family is built from the DSS engine and is a totaly different build platform. All updates to all our product lines have release notes to identify what is being updated, modified and repaired. To get a better feeling of the R-3 versions and its features and options please download the DSS Demo-CD. The NAS R-3 is part of the DSS build and so is the iSCSI R-3 family. The only difference is the DSS is an all in one product of both NAS R-3 & iSCSI R-3. In future we will continue to support the XSR family but as with any technology developments we will be focused on future products. In casses where there needs to be updates to modify or repair the XSR we will provide them. But for future developments and features to XSR in months to come this will not be part of the program.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube