Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: max storage cap?

Default max storage cap?

I put in a 500GB hard drive just for the Open-E OS
    the computer has 3x 1TB drives working in a s/w RAID5 array, giving 1.8TB

soon as I registered the key, everything in the Web GUI is locked down, saying its exceeded the max storage capacity.

I don't understand this, the 500gb HDD doesn't even show up in the web GUI

Why is this happening? and is there a way around it.

The 3x 1TB drives in a s/w RAID5 is seeing all drives so the DSS Lite is seeing 3TB and is over the amount, you can purchase a 2TB storage license key from the link below if you wish to use the free amount of 2TB that we offer for free.

http://www.open-e.com/store/
    Storage Extension +2TB
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Does adding backup devices, For example a 1TB ESATA external drive, count towards the max storage cap as well?
    Thanks

Any devices that can be used as a volume or unit is counted even a Dynamic Unit.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

I've tried adding the backup drive to the other server machine, which has a RAID5 setup across three 500GB drives it seems to be accepting it w/ a lite license.

the S/W RAID setup shows all 4 drives, the three 500GB drives are in a RAID5 array of 1TB, and the 1TB ESATA backup

exact values are 931.51, 465.76, 465.76, 465.76 GB
    an exact conversion of that works out to 2.27TB

yet it isn't saying the limit has been reached like the other machine,
    Does it allow the total to go slightly over the limit or something?

There is a little overage that we allow so this is why.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Default Max storage exeeded

First I must say if this product is as good as the forum her I will not pay for IT !!

!!! - Just to get registered to the forum is a nightmare -- !!

But then to find that when one uses 3x 1Tb drives are over the limit in when configured in raid 5 is over the limit is kind of unfortunate.

Especially since this unit has been working in Evaluation mode for many months.
    It seems some hick made it rethink its configuration.

The problem now is that I have no access to the NAS SMB volume..

It would have been nice if that would have been outlined prior!

Now if the extension of 2TB is working as well as the forum and the lite version I wonder what else we can expect?

Is it worth it to pay $105 to find out?

I am looking for convincing reasons!
    It is not that I have not backed up the data on the volume it is more the principal.
    And what else did open-e forgot to tell.

This is a FREE product with an offering of 2TB and with the SW RAID feature we see all the disks. The DSS Lite is limited but FREE that we offer. You might want to look at the link below to know the difference between the FREE version and the Full DSS V6 version. Many buy the extended license keys that we offer but you dont have to purchase them for the FREE version of the DSS Lite.

http://www.open-e.com/products/open-...te/comparison/
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Also on your access issue with the Shares can you provide more details to this?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Default share access

if you are talking about SMB share access it is simple it is inaccessible from a client.
    From the error message it is not clear on how to fix it besides just start over.
    As mentioned I used it for a few years until it decided it was out of evaluation period.
    I have 2 NAS shares and one iSCSI share the iSCSI still works, it is the NAS SMB share that is being blocked.

So if you could give a link whit specifics what it will cover that would be nice.
    The comparison between free and full product seems to not apply.