Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Server hangs every few days

Please try the values that Gr-R mentioned to you, also did you checked for your RAID Controller health ?

The Raid controller sometimes times out accessing drives in the enclosure. It's not the same drive everytime so it must be something with the backplane.

I've changed the ISCSI values mentioned on all initiators and targets this morning. So let's see how long it keeps running this time

Good, also try to remove all settings in your initiators, and reset them all again, even if you have to remove the initiators and reinstall them again.

Quote Originally Posted by welnet
    The Raid controller sometimes times out accessing drives in the enclosure. It's not the same drive everytime so it must be something with the backplane.

I've changed the ISCSI values mentioned on all initiators and targets this morning. So let's see how long it keeps running this time
    Try updating to the latest Areca firmware I believe its 1.49. It may help with your drive timeouts.

Quote Originally Posted by EricD
    Try updating to the latest Areca firmware I believe its 1.49. It may help with your drive timeouts.
    I was going to suggest the same thing... backplane failure would be odd. not impossible, but odd.

I've updated to the latest 1.49FW, unfortunately it shows the same error as as the previous controller which was returned to the dealer.

On boot-up it sometimes fails drives randomly (red flashing light next to drive) when detecting the drives and array. It requires a complete cold shutdown to reset the drive error. There is nothing wrong with the drives as far as i can see. Sometimes it also hangs indefinitely when detecting the controller card with the message 'please wait for the F/W to be ready...'.

Seems to point more and more to an incompatibility between the Areca 1880 drive and the 836-E1 SAS enclosure with LSI expander.

To be continued..

What exact model and firmware level are your WD 2TB drives?

There have been a number of people that have had problems with WD 2TB having various timeout issues with several different Raid controllers.

Most have been cured with Bios updates to the Raid controllers but some have needed to update the firmware on the HD's themselves others have had to force the drives to Sata 150 mode to solve the issue.

I have had problems on occasion with the Areca BIOS locking up on Boot. If you are not booting from drives attached to the Areca you can disable the Areca BIOS.

Best Wishes

The disks (WDC WD2003FYYS-02W0B0) have the firmware revision 01.01D01 installed.

I have searched for f/w upgrades for the disks but it seems there are none on the Western Digital site.

I could try downgrading the disks to SATA 150 mode, i'll try that later today.

Is it possible to install another areca driver in the kernel?

This needs console access of course but enabling 'Remote Tech Support' gives an error 'check your internet connection'.

Is something like this possible?

DSS Lite does not have support for RAID controllers only the professional version of DSS V6 does.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube