Visit Open-E website

Thread: Failover

Default Failover

If I have two machines Primary/Secondary and I put a failover between them.

A- Let say my Primary get down, does my Secondary get up to work or should I do some manual steps? what are they?

B- If I bring back my Primary, and now want to make it work, what is the steps I should follow to configure the Secondary DSS back to failover with Primary DSS

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_man
    If I have two machines Primary/Secondary and I put a failover between them.

A- Let say my Primary get down, does my Secondary get up to work or should I do some manual steps? what are they?

B- If I bring back my Primary, and now want to make it work, what is the steps I should follow to configure the Secondary DSS back to failover with Primary DSS
    In failover configuration, if the primary goes down, the secondary will become active node automatically.

After repairing the primary node from its issues, you simply failback from the secondary node, from the failover configuration in the WebGUI.

Don't forget to Run sync volumes on the Secondary and verify it has completed before hit Failback. It normally warns you before.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr-R
    In failover configuration, if the primary goes down, the secondary will become active node automatically.

After repairing the primary node from its issues, you simply failback from the secondary node, from the failover configuration in the WebGUI.
    what is the "goes down" parameters ?

i have 2 DSS V6 with replication WITHOUT Failover because i use round robin MPIO Vmware.

This saturday, my master DSS V6 "goes down" :
    - scsi error command in Log
    - vmware just hang forever starting snapshot (vmware data recovery)

But my master DSS continue to ping... I tried to reboot, it just hang... But with ping alive. I have to HARD RESET.

Because i can't touch the volume of my Second DSS (Replication as Destination was grayed) so i have to to shutdown everything (Both DSS, starting my slave in first, connecting my vmware host on it etc..)

In this case Failover is working ? when the error coming from Raid H/W ?

MPIO will work with the Auto Failover just create 2 VIP's. If there is a RAID issue on the system with volume replication you will need to correct in order to switch over.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    MPIO will work with the Auto Failover just create 2 VIP's. If there is a RAID issue on the system with volume replication you will need to correct in order to switch over.
    thanks for the info, i'll try this.