Visit Open-E website

Thread: Interesting ways of Open-E DSS V6 API usage?

Talking Interesting ways of Open-E DSS V6 API usage?

Hi!

Do you have any interesting ways of API usage? I decided to finally get into it, and I'm just thinking about possible usages. The first thing I want to use it for is to get my servers state and put it into a GNOME screenlet (if you use Linux, you should know what I'm talking about ). This way i would have a status of my server all the time onscreen.

Greets,
    mavs

You need to go to WebGUI : SETUP->ADMINISTRATOR. and enable API form there

To get the list of the available commands, you need to connect your Open-E system to an SSH , ssh IP -l api -p 22223 'help'.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Al-S
    You need to go to WebGUI : SETUP->ADMINISTRATOR. and enable API form there

To get the list of the available commands, you need to connect your Open-E system to an SSH , ssh IP -l api -p 22223 'help'.
    Thanks. It's helpful for those who haven't used API yet. I have.

Cool

Ok... I like my Gnome based administration system showing me a status of all my servers. So I 'm using "Output" screenlet to display something like this:

It shows my servers memory usage and refreshes every 5 seconds. How does it work?

First of all I had to enable API (previous post says how).
    This API is ssh based. It means that I had to use ssh command to get result from the server.

The first problem is that we don't want to have to log in every time we run command. AND we want our scripts to run it automatically. We can use authentication key which can be downloaded from the same place where we enabled the API.

Help says that an API command can be run this way:

ssh -i path_to_the_downloaded_key -2 -p 22223 -l api ip_address command
    In my case it is:

ssh -i /home/mavs/MyDSS/TRL00022_20110407152831.key -2 -p 22223 -l api 192.168.253.17 get_memorystatus|head -n4
    I had a problem because of this:

Permissions 0660 for '/home/mavs/MyDSS/TRL00022_20110407152831.key' are too open.
    It is recommended that your private key files are NOT accessible by others.
    This private key will be ignored.
    If you get this, just run:
    chmod 600 filename
    Than I just typed it into the "command to run" field in the screenlet options.

And that's it!

Can you achieve more? If yes, than please share

Thank you mavs , your post will help a lot for sure. .. we are looking to see more comments like that.