Visit Open-E website

Thread: Identification of NICs in console

Default Identification of NICs in console

I am using Open-E for over two years, but I still have some difficulties to identify NICs adapters in Open-E DSS console.

As You allready know, console is providing us a list of available NIC adapters like:
    eth0
    eth1
    eth2...

If I have in one storage system:
    2x or 4x onboard 1Gbps ports
    additional PCI-E card with 4x 1Gbps ports
    additional PCI-E card with 2x 10Gbps ports

Open-E console will report this to me as plain: eth0, eth1....

How can I know which ethx corresponds to which NIC adapter (and MAC address)?

So far, my only way to do this is to:
    1. attach active UTP cable ONLY to the port which will be Open-E mgmt port
    2. through Console / CTRL+ALT+N identify which ethx has status "running"
    3. set up IP parameters for this mgmt ethx through Console
    4. From local machine, connect to this ethx mgmt port and start Open-E DSS WEBGUI
    5. From WEBGUI / Setup / Network / Interfaces, identify which ethx corresponds to which NICs port (and/or MAC)

Is there any smarter and faster way to identify NICs from Console?

Once in the CTRL ALT N then select the Ethx then TAB over to Info and there is the NIC Vendor and MAC Address.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Would be great to have an extra field in DSS to add a easy to remember name like 'LAN1', '10.0.10.1' or '10-net' instead of the same old cryptic eth1, etc. Even off to the side in addition to the standard names would be helpful. If I don't look at the console for a couple of days I find myself forgetting what is what. Of course that could just be me getting older.

LOL.
    Nice idea....
    And maybe you are getting older Andy I think we all are!

To-M, thanks

I agree with webguyz.
    Adding some kind of short description for every ethx in console view, would be very helpful.

We have practice to rename "Local area Network Connection..." to some meaningful name in Windows - so, this could be done in Open-E DSS . too.

Yes that should make it more easy, but it is not that easy to develop that fast for all systems, as you know, our system is being used with multi kind of Operating systems also with virtual machines, and naming it could make some confusing, specially with customer who use mixed operating systems.

Couldn't you add another field in the DSS Manger called description? That would make it easy for people in DSS to see what ethernet adapter they are working with. Just an idea?

Thanks
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by shawngrass
    Couldn't you add another field in the DSS Manger called description? That would make it easy for people in DSS to see what ethernet adapter they are working with. Just an idea?

Thanks
    Shawn
    Good idea, and not to difficult, I don't think.
    I will add to the queue.... and see what happens.