Visit Open-E website

Thread: SMB access from different LAN possible?

Thread has average rating 5.00 / 5.00 based on 1 votes.
Thread has been visited 4705 times.

Default SMB access from different LAN possible?

Hello!

I run an Open-E DSS V6 Lite with SMB shares in my office. Via IPSEC-VPN my private LAN at home (192.168.19.0) is connected with my LAN in the office (192.168.18.0).

When i try to connect to my NAS from my home LAN i get no connection. Even if i use the IP address as server name.

In my Explorer @home (from IP 192.168.19.101) i try to connect to \\192.168.18.56\Share and after a few seconds i just get a message that the connection cannot be established with error code 0x80004005 (searching for that didn't help me).

Is there a config option which i overlook, where i can grant access from another LAN?

Thanks
    Markus Mann

The default gateway for the used ethrent was not set correctly.
    This might help you:
    http://kb.open-e.com/Why-I-cant-acce...ubnet_352.html

Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Al-S
    The default gateway for the used ethrent was not set correctly.
    I forgot to mention that i can ping my NAS and also access the GUI from my home LAN. I just can't connect to a share. In Samba i know it is possible to restrict clients to a single LAN. I assume this is the point here.

My question is now: is there a way to configure this, so i get also access to my SMB shares from my home LAN?

Cheers
    Markus Mann

Quote Originally Posted by ctsde-max93
    Hello!

I forgot to mention that i can ping my NAS and also access the GUI from my home LAN. I just can't connect to a share. In Samba i know it is possible to restrict clients to a single LAN. I assume this is the point here.

My question is now: is there a way to configure this, so i get also access to my SMB shares from my home LAN?

Cheers
    Markus Mann
    is port 139 TCP/UDP open along the route?

Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by Gr-R
    is port 139 TCP/UDP open along the route?
    At least i was very confident on that, but you made me looking further into that and in fact it was NOT!

A long-time-forgotten firewall rule preventing unwanted SMB traffic to leave my private network did what it was supposed to do. My pfSense has several rule-sets: one for LAN, one for WAN and one for IPSEC and IPSEC had only an allow-all rule, so i first thougt this was OK. But the forgotten rule in the LAN rule-set (of course without the "log matching packets" field beeing enabled) tricked me on that (silently)...

*selfpatsch*

Thank you for pointing me into the right direction, now i can access my NAS from my home LAN!

Cheers
    Markus Mann