Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adaptec 6805

Question Adaptec 6805

Hi,

does anybody has tried DSS with an Adaptec 6805 controller ?

We have tried Open-E DSS V6 ver. 6.00 up75 build 5377, which should support the new controller.
    We can also see the Raid volume, but as soon we create a vg, the system is no longer responding, or to be more correct, after creating a vg the system becomes extrem slow, and after a few minutes the system is no longer responding.

So, is anybody using the 6805 (or any of the 6xxx series)? Does DSS works fine with 6805?

Regards
    Babbnase

6805 should work fine, are you able to access the Adaptec via the ASM app to get the logs?

What happens when restarting the system and what is in the critical error logs showing?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Also is the Adaptec to the latest firmware?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi,

thanks for the super fast reply :-)

The Adaptec is to the latest firmware.
    We have also tried with CentOS (had to build our own aacraid.ko modul) and configuration by hand. In this case the system works w/o any problems (We can create vg....)

Sadly, after create a vg with DSS the system didn't responding any longer, and if we doing a hard reset, the system boots and stops at 33% (Don't know if the system will boot if we would wait several hours). At least after 30min, it still shows 33%

Because the system doesn't boot any longer, we are also not able to have a look to any logfiles :-(

If it is hanging 33% sounds like there might be some volume issues from the array, try to reboot the system then while the system is booting press "Tab" key on "Select kernel" screen
    type "rescue_mode" and press "Enter" key (in order to run the system without splash).

or

Type "rescue_mode=no_mount_lv" and press "Enter" key (in order to run the system without mounting logical volumes)

Then see if you can access the controller from the ASM or from the CLI from Console screen by entering CTRL ALT R to gain access to the controller.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi,

I had to reinstall DSS, because we had done some test with CentOs.

I have now reinstalled DSS:

created a vg - w/o any problems (sorry, we had never a problem w/ vg; my mistake, it was always a poblem w/ the next step)

crated a lv, and the problems started
    ~10 min after creating, the system becomes more and more slow
    ~30 min after creating, the system doesn't response any longer

I was able to connect w/ ASM
    Before creating the lv, ASM could see both controller
    we are using two controllers:
    Adaptec 2610A with 4 HDD for the DSS System, and planed for images/iso...
    Adaptec 6805 with 8 HDD for FC

Now, ASM only see the 2610A controller, but no longer the 6805
    I was able to save the logfile (while the system no longer response to anything).

How to att. a logfile (txt) to this board ????

As i can see from the logfile, one HDD timedout:

dss Command timeout: controller 2, channel 0, SCSI device ID 7, LUN 0, cdb [2a 00 20 a1 f4 00 00 02 00 00 00 00]

followed by:
    dss Sense data: Illegal request (PARAMETER NOT SUPPORTED). Controller 2, channel 0, SCSI device ID 7, LUN 0, cdb [2a 00 21 4f fe 00 00 02 00 00 00 00], data [70 00 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 26 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00]

Sense data: Unit attention (POWER ON, RESET, OR BUS DEVICE RESET OCCURRED). Controller 2, channel 0, SCSI device ID 7, LUN 0, cdb [2a 00 21 50 2a 00 00 02 00 00 00 00], data [70 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 29 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00]

An error occurred while accessing the logical device: controller 2, logical device 0
    An error occurred while accessing the logical device: controller 2, logical device 252

The HDD are all new, and I had no similar problems while running with CentOs.
    I have ordered 2 more HDD's, to see if this solves the problem.

Nevertheless, a dregraded RAID should not bring the whole server down (we have used a RAID 10). A single failed HDD should not be a problem.

As soon I have done some more tests, I will get back to you

It could be more then the drive from what I see it might be the controller as well - what did Adaptec say about the logs from there end? We will report only a minor bit like IO Journal errors or something in the lines of that.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

until now, I haven't contacted Adaptec, cos I had no problems before.
    All the hardware is new, and as I have not seen the 6805 in your HCL, we have tried to use CentOs as storageserver.
    I was more or less luck, that I have checked the lasted demo of DSS, to see the 6805 is now supported.
    So we just testing everything since only 2-3 days, not enough time, to name the bad boy :-)

Can you make the log files(DSS) available for us to download?
    I'm curious to see the boot logs, and some of the hardware info....

Download this small update and test - install in the GUI from Maint. > Software Update then restart and test again.

ftp://software:enterforupdate@ftp.op...ptec_series_6/
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"