Visit Open-E website

Thread: Open-E DSS V6 & FalconStor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Open-E DSS V6 & FalconStor

Hello,
    weŽre having trouble integrating our both Open-E DSS V6 machines into out FalconStor Infrastructure. Right now we have:

2 FalconStor IPStor Nodes
    2 HP EVA3000 (Already productive)
    2 SuperMicro Machines with Open-E DSS V6

All hooked up to an FC SAN.

We successfully integrated one Open-E machine via FibreChannel by now, so the FalconStor Nodes can the see the LUN we created (4 TB). But when weŽre trying to use the Open-E FC Volume for the FalconStor Storage Pool, we get an Error Message stating that the IPStor Parition canŽt be created.

I passed the issue to the technical support from our FalconStor Reseller, including the Logs from the FalconStor nodes. The support told me that it looks like the Open-E Software doesnŽt Support Cluster Shared Volumes (or Host Multi access), because the 2 FalconStor Nodes are unable to access the Volume on the Open-E simultaneously (which is neccessary when doing mirroring / Failover).

Is this a known limitation of Open-E or kust not supported (yet)

Greeting from germany,
    philipp zimmermann

Hello Philipp

Many thanks for your post.
    Can you please describe how you did setup the WWN ? This can help us to investigate further

Hi,
    Under "Configuration->FC Target manager->WWN Aliases" we added the Initiator WWNs from both FalconStore Nodes (4 WWNs) and assigned them to the FC Group. We also set the QLOGIC Adapter under "Setup->Fibre Channel" into target Mode.

So just to confirm that you are able to use the FC Target from the DSS V6 with only 1 FalconStor Nodes? I just want to make sure that the 4TB can be seen and used without the Host Multi access from the pool. So if you have 1 WWN entered (not all 4) can the FalconStor use this LUN?

We have not tested with this setup so this is where the investigation begins and typically a when accessing with multiple host you would need some SAN filesystem or a VMware HA setup or MS Cluster. But lets define first if you are able to successfully use the LUN with 1 Node.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Ok, I tried that, but the error is still the same when trying to assign the LUN as an Virtual Device in the FalconStor Console: (Cannot create IPStor partition while attempting to change category") and ("Failed to change physical device (SCSI_FIO.....) category".

Well, IŽm not sure but I (think) I found the Problem: I created a new LUN with 16 GB and changed the default Sector Size from 4096 to 512 Kb, and after that I was able to assign the Volume, even with all Initiator WWNs from the FalconStor. IŽll keep testing.

Many thanks for your post.