Visit Open-E website

Thread: Failure of media OpenE is installed on?

Question Failure of media OpenE is installed on?

Hello,
    In planning my deployment, it is very crucial for me to know if running OpenE from a bootable USB memory stick is sufficient. If the USB memory stick that contains all of the OpenE OS and configuration data fails, how would I recover? Can I simply install OpenE again and easily have it read the settings back in as far as my iSCSI targets and LUNs? I need to know this for SURE. Has anyone had a scenario where the media OpenE is running from is lost?

Quote Originally Posted by tutt
    Hello,
    In planning my deployment, it is very crucial for me to know if running OpenE from a bootable USB memory stick is sufficient. If the USB memory stick that contains all of the OpenE OS and configuration data fails, how would I recover? Can I simply install OpenE again and easily have it read the settings back in as far as my iSCSI targets and LUNs? I need to know this for SURE. Has anyone had a scenario where the media OpenE is running from is lost?
    Yes, DSSV6 can be run from a USB thumb drive of at least 2GB. Yes, it can fail.
    The settings and configuration can be downloaded from the DSS webGUI and saved for restore later. Your data will not be harmed in the process.

We had an issue with an USB DOM in the past. As G-R said, I would also recommend to save the configurations constant. We had no problems to switch the USB DOM and load the old configuration file.

But I think the auto-save configuration files which will be saved on every shutdown are stored on the hard disks, aren't they? So it should be no problem anyway if you forget to save the configuration files.

Have you ever planned to use SATA DOM's? Might be more reliable.

With DSSv6, you can use the following media types:
    - (recommended) 2GB small LUN on a Hardware RAID*
    - IDE (ATA) DOM, SATA DOM, IDE (ATA) Hard Disk, SATA Hard Disk, SCSI Hard Disk**
    - USB DOM (with Wear-Leveling support).

* In order to install the software on separate LUN, please use RAID controllers with multiple LUN support. Please create a small 2GB logical unit for DSS V6.
    When Running DSS V6 installer you will need to select the 2GB logical unit as the boot media. The rest of the RAID space please create second LUN for the user data.
    The following RAID controllers are supported as a bootable media:
    MegaRAID, Smart Array, 3ware, Adaptec, Areca.

For Smart Array please use the RAID management CD as the RAID BIOS does not support LUN management.
    Some Adaptec controllers does not provide volume settings in the RAID BIOS, please use Adaptec Storage Manger software.

** If installed on a HDD, please keep in mind all hard disk capacity will be used by software OS and cannot be used to store user data.