Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSS Lite - Total storage size exceeded licensed capacity

Default DSS Lite - Total storage size exceeded licensed capacity

Hello,

I am receiving this message when using DSS-Lite. We have 2x2TB drives that we plan on using in a S/W mirror. The OS is on a single 36GB drive with the created 2GB FAT16 partition. How can I get by this error message? Before I entered our DSS-Lite activation key we were able to create the S/W mirror that produced a 1.8TB logical volume, but now I cannot see it or make any changes as I'm stuck at this message. Is DSS adding on the 34GB of extra space to go over the 2TB limit? What can I do? Thanks.

Jeff

If using SW RAID then we will see both 2 TB drives and this will be at 4TB. You can purchase additional lic 2TB key if you want from link below.

http://www.open-e.com/store/
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    If using SW RAID then we will see both 2 TB drives and this will be at 4TB. You can purchase additional lic 2TB key if you want from link below.

http://www.open-e.com/store/
    So are you saying there's no way around this even though our goal is to have a 2TB S/W raid? We are forced to purchase the software?

It's always been like this that we are seeing the RAW capacity from the drives so if you have 2 x 2TB this will be 4TB. The other option is to use 2 x 1TB drives or 4 x 500GB drives. the cost for the 2TB is only $105
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

It's always been like this that we are seeing the RAW capacity from the drives so if you have 2 x 2TB this will be 4TB. The other option is to use 2 x 1TB drives or 4 x 500GB drives. the cost for the 2TB is only $105
    Thanks, we'll consider this. Can you tell me if the added 34GB from the 36Gb drive is also factored in to the total amount of RAW space?

Quote Originally Posted by SophInfra
    Thanks, we'll consider this. Can you tell me if the added 34GB from the 36Gb drive is also factored in to the total amount of RAW space?
    It is NOT.

Not really because we do have a buffer of 250GB over the 2TB that we allow for.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Not really because we do have a buffer of 250GB over the 2TB that we allow for.
    Thank you guys for being so responsive, I really appreciate it. I do have a few more questions for you on a different topic.

1) Is there any way in the Lite version to copy the data from a S/W raid volume? In other words if we wanted to take a quarterly backup of the data on to a USB drive or something.

2) If we take a backup of the configuration and attempt to restore it to an older version of DSS will it work or will that version need to be upgraded first?

Thanks again!

1) Is there any way in the Lite version to copy the data from a S/W raid volume? In other words if we wanted to take a quarterly backup of the data on to a USB drive or something.

You can use the Trial version with the Data Replication.

2) If we take a backup of the configuration and attempt to restore it to an older version of DSS will it work or will that version need to be upgraded first?

For the Settings yes but if the config is different on the other server it will not be the same.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

-We plan on sticking with the Lite version for now so is there any way to do it in Lite?

-Since we can't do RAID on the OS drive our plan is to keep a spare drive with just the open-e software installed in a safe and restore the configuration to it in the event of an OS drive failure. However, I the drive in the safe will eventually be out of date as far as DSS versions go so that's why I was asking. So it sounds like we can restore an older config to a newer version, correct?