Visit Open-E website

Thread: Dual NIC setup question

Default Dual NIC setup question

Hello,

We're using the Lite version with dual NICs and I have a few questions: When we attempted to use a single NIC we used a single IP address which served as our web interface for Open-E as well as the iSCSI target IP address for VMWare hosts. This produced problems because we were constantly getting warnings in the event log saying that it saw duplicate IP addresses on the network. Now I activated the second NIC thinking we could use one for the iSCSI connections and one for the management interface. What is the best practice here and how do we go about setting this up? Thanks.

Jeff

As long as your IP's are different, and its best to use seperate subnets too, you will be fine.
    Obviously, make sure the IP not already in use on the LAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr-R
    As long as your IP's are different, and its best to use seperate subnets too, you will be fine.
    Obviously, make sure the IP not already in use on the LAN.
    That's what I thought, but is there a way to specify which NIC is used for administration? Also, when you say separate subnets are you assuming that the subnets cannot contact each other?

You can use any IP NIC that the DSS is using if you can see it for the GUI.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Concerning separate subnets (if needed for your setup) you can always use the static route feature in the DSS.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by SophInfra
    That's what I thought, but is there a way to specify which NIC is used for administration? Also, when you say separate subnets are you assuming that the subnets cannot contact each other?
    You do not need to be able to make a specification in DSSV6 to do this.
    The assigned path can be managed from the Host side, with static discovery instead of dynamic. Even if the host can see multiple paths, controlling the access point is easy from the host.
    To go a step further, you can use allow/deny rules on the targets in DSSV6, and further filter what can be seen by the hosts. This is a great feature to use so the initiators are not making idle connections to targets they will not use.
    Regarding subnets... wether or not they can see each other does not matter. The issue on the DSSV6 is all about routing.
    Check this out: http://www.fishbowlnetwork.com/multiple_IP.pdf