Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Import/Export of GIDS and UIDS not possible

Unhappy Import/Export of GIDS and UIDS not possible

Good morning,

we have now our second storage system based on DSS-Software and again we have
    trouble to setup the system as described in the documentation.

We have an older DSS V5 system running as mixed CIFS/NFS file server in a simple
    configuration with a local user database (UIDS and GIDS set by GUI for about 200 users).
    No additional features except the snapshot feature will be used on this system.

Now we like to transfer all this settings to the new DSS V6 (6.0up75) storage.
    So we exportet the GIDS and UIDS settings from the old storage to import them into
    the new one. But this failed with the simple message "import failed" in gid_mappings_import.log

Message in GUI is as follows:

Error - GID mappings upload finished with errors.
    For more details read gid_mappings_import.log in logs directory - GID.

Some additional tests we have done:

Then i created some groups and users on the new system by using the GUI. This works.
    Then i exported the GIDS and UIDS from the new system. This works also.
    Then i modified the CSV-exported files as we have done on the old system and tried to
    import. This import failed for both, users and groups.
    Then i exported a CSV with 25 GUI created groups. This simple operations works.
    Then i deleted one group within the GUI, so we have only 24 groups.
    Then i exported a new CSV file and i got one with 25 groups. The deleted one, which will
    not be shown in the GUI anymore is in this export file. Strange but not the top of bugs.
    Now i modified this fresh exported CSV file by simple changing the group ID between
    two existing groups and importing this successfully. Now i see no changes in the GUI.
    The deleted group is not visible and it shows up only 24 groups. Hmm.
    Then i have done a export again to check if the GIDS have been imported correctly.
    GUI says export was successfull but CSV file includes nothing. Yes, the file is empty.

Can someone take a close look on this problem. I found a second thread in this forum
    which is a year ago with no answer. The problem sounds 100% the same on importing GIDS and UIDS.

No, we did not want to get the system in AD nor we will setup a NIS server.

I have deleted the CONFIGURATION to check if this is a reproduceable bug and it is.

Any solution is welcome because the system is not usable.

Regards

Robert

All these tests are done on the DSS version 5 or 6?

You can import/export your settings from DSSv5 to DSSv6, but we always say that you might have an issue when you are using settings between version 5 and 6.

Try to use a very old build of DSSv6 and test it, that could help you to import your old settings from DSSv5, and if it done fine, then update your DSSv6 to the latest ( just be sure that you will update to builds in between your very old build to the latest).

To clearify.

All this tests have been done only on the DSS V6 system.
    The system was out of the box and was updated from V6up65 to V6up75.
    Then i tried to import only a simple UID and a GID CSV file. UIDS for about 200 users and 24 GIDS. This files have been an export from the old system with DSS V5.

There was NEVER a configuration file or something more complex configuration
    imported from any other system. We do NOT talk about the settings file!

Documentation says that the CSV file is identicaly structured as in the older version.
    Simple "USERNAME;UID(LINEFEED)" per line. Same for GIDS.

Please try to generate a CSV file as described in the documentation and import this
    file. This will fail.
    Please create two groups by using the GUI.
    Please export this two groups as GIDS.CSV file.
    Please delete one of the created groups by using the GUI.
    Now the list in the GUI shows up only one of the created groups.
    Please export the groups again as GIDS.CSV file and take a look inside.
    Here you will see that the deleted group is back again.
    When you now reimport this last exported GIDS.CSV file this file should
    overwrite the existing group settings, but it will not.

I will not copy, import or sync any data between this two systems. I want only
    the same users und groups on the new DSS V6 system as on the old one. We are not talking about DATA with ACLs or any shares with access rights at this point.

Maybe we have to set a checkmark at another position to do this batch import for users und groups but the only way at this time is to manualy type in every user and group using the GUI. But this will result in different IDs for the groups and the users compared to the old system.

Regards

Robert

If you are using an internal Ldap, you can run guid/uid sync when you applies Small Update called : 0832-DSS_V6_up65. ( work with latest build tell this time ).

You can send us a Pre-sale email, so I can support you with the Small update.

Thumbs down

Thank you for the small update.
    I applied the update on our Version V6up75.xxxx.5377 . u00832 downgrades smbd version 3.5.4 down to smbd version 3.2.15 .

I have done some testing and can say that this does not fix my problem.
    By default i will now have the user guest and nobody in the user list. Without the update 0832 there was only the user guest viewable. If i want to import a CSV i will get the error as described in the original post.

But it is possible to get the list of users as wanted as long as the number of users generated by the GUI matches the same usernames and the same amount of users.
    If i will create 5 users and export them as CSV, i will get a file in which i can edit the
    UIDs. After importing this modified file the UIDs will be set as expected.
    Any attempt to extend this list or modifications on only one username will result in an error on importing the CSV.

At the moment we cannot import our userbase because the import will not overwrite the user or group information as described in the documentation.

Regards

Robert

There is no method to import the list with an extension of users.
    The import List must match usernames, only changes that are allowed are UID and GID. This must be changed in the webGUI.
    The update is related to AD, so you dont need it.

Lightbulb

Thank you for the info.

I have now removed the small update and done some testing with external ldap to the older system. This functions as expected but it is no solution for our company.

I have done an import of the settings.cnf file from the old storage for experimental testing.
    I transfered only the CONFIGURATION, not the SETUP. This seems to be the only way to get the users and groups transfered to the newer system. After successfull reboot the list for shares, users and groups shows me the settings i want to see.
    I exported the user and group IDs into a file but this was empty as expected because of the deinstalled small update. After applying the small update again, the export was successfull. The test export shows the same settings as in the old system.

I will now check the rest of the settings. If everything is OK i will copy data on the system for further testing.

btw. settings.cnf was exported from DSS 5.0up62 build 3518 to DSS 6.0up75 build 5377 !

Regards

Robert

Default [UPDATE] Import/Export of GIDS and UIDS

Robert,

Hope it will be good news for you
    Our developers did rewrite the mechanism so it's strongly recommended to follow it.

In case you are interested on getting Small Update for Release 5626 please contact our Support team via User Portal.

Is this for Active Directory too.
    I need an Option to transfer the UID/GID Active Directory mapppings to a second DSS easy.

Thanks
    Sven

Default [UPDATE] Import/Export of GIDS and UIDS

maygyver,

With this SU you can download CSV files for UIDs and GIDs while you are using ADS domain. Exported CSV files you can import to second DSS. Then your UIDs and GIDs from the first DSS will be the same on the second DSS.