Visit Open-E website

Thread: Duplicate snapshot task cannot be removed

Question Duplicate snapshot task cannot be removed

Hello together,

has someone an idea how to fix this issue?

I have imported a settings file from a different system. Everything works fine after a few additional settings (IP changed, System Name, additional shares etc.).

Now i have seen that under MAINTENANCE - snapshots the list shows me 6 snapshots. Three of them, the new created ones, are start- stop- and deleteable. The other three seems to be garbage from the imported settings.cnf file. Three snapshots (the good ones) are grouped under the vg00 link in the left snapshot container (main&id=2.2.1). The other three snapshots will only be shown when klicking on the header of the left snapshot container (main&id=2.2).

If i expand the snapshot tasks i will see:

snap00000
    LV: LV not exists!
    Size: 0.00 GB

snap00000
    LV: lv0000
    Size: 200.00 GB
    Usage: x.xx%

Same for snap00001 and snap00002

The new created snapshots can be deleted in volume manager, the imported not.
    As the system will try to schedule this three "zombie" snapshots every 12.00, 15.00 and 22.00 on a daily base, i will get an FAILED in the task status page with the message "snapshot not exist".

I tried to remove all snapshots from the extended tools menu, but this removed only the snapshots created bei GUI. It seems that the snapshot is linked to the logical volume using a serial number and not the logical volume name.

Is it possible to modify the system in a way that the imported snapshots will be deleted?

Is it possible for the support to remove the death snapshot tasks from an exported settings.cnf file and i can reimport the modified file?

System has latest release DSS V6 b5377 64bit

Regards

Robert

Submit a support ticket, and we can remove them over a remote support session.
    RSS from the DSSV6 console.

Thank you for the fast reply.

As all our servers are not connected thru any internet connection, i asked for the possibility to manipulate the settings.cnf file. Remote Support will only be possible if i move the configuration on a second system, a standard pc with DSS V6 demo version.

Is it possible to investigate the problem in this way?

Regards

Robert

We can correct a settings.cnf, but that will not help on the current server, only on future import on a clean install.

Thumbs up

Hello,

after some additional experiments we found an acceptable solution for our problem.

1. I saved the current configuration on the older server.
    2. Delete ALL snapshots in volume manager on old server.
    3. Export settings file of current configuration from old server.
    4. Load factory default configuration on new server.
    5. Reboot new server.
    6. Upload exported settings file from old server into new server.
    7. Reboot new server.
    8. Recreate snapshots on old server.
    9. Create snapshots on new server.

Now it works as expected on the new server.

Regards

Robert

Many thanks for your feedback and would say great research job.

I'll send this Step-by-Step solution to our development team. For sure based on your description maybe they can improve the software.

Any other solutions much appreciated !!!