Visit Open-E website

Thread: Replication task won't start

Default Replication task won't start

We are running two DSSV6 with replicated volumes. Last weekend one of the servers crashed due to a faulty USB stick which Open-E was installed on. Since then the remaining Storage server is operating in standalone mode.

We had to re-install Open-E on the failed machine and reconfigure the networking setup. The volume group setup as well as the replication setup were intact after the re-installation. We set the logical volume from "source" to "destination" in the replication settings. However when we tried to re-start the replication from the other server it would not start. The Task log states:

Unknown Error 255

After that we tried the following:

- deleting and re-recreating the replication tasks
    - re-creating and re-initialising the target LV

However it didn't change anything. We still can't restart the replication task.

We have a maintenance window for tomorrow evening where we will be able to reboot the server which hosts the source LV. I hope that a reboot might fix the problem.

Anyway I was wondering if I missed something or if this error is a known bug. Is there anything else I could do to re-start the replication? What are my options if tomorrow's reboot doesn't fix the problem?

One more question: is it safe to remove/add the "replication" feature from a running LV or will the data on this LV become corrupted/deleted in the process? The LV is used as an iSCSI target.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Joern

Default Solved

I solved the problem. It turned out the bonding didn't work correctly. I tried to use each of the two crosslink cables separately and it turned out to be succesfull. So I re-created the network bonds on both servers and since then the replications works flawlessly.

Thanks for your posts, and for the bond always check for the cables, and the NIC cards.