Visit Open-E website

Thread: NAS failover

Question NAS failover

Hi,

I have two Open-E DSS V6 systems.
    The main has about 20TB data on it.

I want to make a failover situation but keep running into more questions.
    Is it possible to use volume replication and if I can how do I activate it on the main server?
    I've looked into http://documents.open-e.com/Open-E_D...th_unicast.pdf but can't seem to acivate the volume replication. I did read somewhere this was limited to 16TB but dont remembe where.

I also looked into a snapshot solution http://documents.open-e.com/Open-E_D...over_a_LAN.pdf but I can't seem to make a snapshot because the is no free space left to assign.

So in short, I would like to use the failover NAS solution but if this is not possible I'm thinking about the 2nd solution but how do I resize my lv0000 so I can use some space for a snapshot.

You can use the Volume Replication with the NFS Auto Failover, make sure that you have NFS Auto Failover feature, this is offered with the TRIAL version for 60 days or you can purchase this from our website.

Make sure that when you create the NAS volume that you enable the Replication for the NAS volume for reach of the DSS V6 servers and assign one as the Source and the other as the Destination.

If you do not have enough storage capacity to create a Snapshot then you will need to add more storage or remove the NAS volume and resize to allow the creation for the Snapshot volume to be assigned to the NAS volume for the Data Replication.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Is there any way I can activate volume replication on my source server?
    It already contains a 22TB lv0000 at it is filled with 22TB data so I can't delete it...
    And will this work because in the help file is a sidenote that claims it can only work under 16TB

Volume Replication is only for volumes that are under 16TB as you stated from the manual. The only other way is to use the Data Replication and add more storage to your existing NAS volume or Volume Group.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Is it possible to use data replication without a snapshot?

No, you need Snapshot as noted in the function and manual.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Data replication is done on volumes with 16TB size or less, if you have let say a 80TB of storage, then you need to divide this to a 16TB volumes( that means 5 volumes for 80TB as an example ) so you can replicate each volume, and at the end replicate all the storage size you have. Sure you can create volumes with size less than 16TB if you need to.