Visit Open-E website

Thread: Inactive volume

Unhappy Inactive volume

Hi,

We have 2 ESX4 servers connecting by fibre to a volume on an open-e server. If the open-e server reboots and is started one any one of the esx servers will see the volume as normal the other will see it as inactive so totaly random. This causes problems for the vm's on the host that sees the volume as inactive.

Help

Gavin

this is more likely an issue with the WWN on the switch rather than the target broadcast.

but what is wierd it is using the same port to connect to other storage servers and they are all ok. I have now got multipath on the esx and dual port on open-e with two fibre switches. Now i have rebooted the open-e server and one esx server shows as both paths are dead and the other shows one active and one dead but all active when looking at Datacore storage servers

are there any specific settings that need to be done on the esx 4 servers to work correctly with open-e

Pi-L Guest

You can find a lot of useful resources about ESX and DSS V6 in our knowledge database and webcasts:

http://www.open-e.com/library/webcasts-and-videos/

Quote Originally Posted by gharding
    are there any specific settings that need to be done on the esx 4 servers to work correctly with open-e

Also try to read the following:

http://kb.open-e.com/What-are-the-be...-Open-E_4.html

And
    http://www.open-e.com/solutions/open...vmware-esx-40/

Thanks I have looked at these and nothing stands out that would point me in the correct direction and they are mainly talking about iscsi.

Something interesting though, i just rebooted the open-e server again and now one of the ESX4 servers should both Fibre Channel paths as active with one used for (I/O) which is correct and the Other ESX4 server shows both as dead. It seems that the first server that connects with the volume takes control.

Interestingly we also have two ESX3.5 servers looking at the same volume and these work correctly as each server has an active path and a stanby which is correct for this version of ESX.

So it seems the problem is open-e with esx4, please anymore help would be appreciated.

Ok I am getting closer, in ESX4 it can resignature the volume when it is scanned and this can cause the problem. So what I have done I have disabled this feature on the ESX4 servers from the console using this command esxcfg-advcfg -s 0 /LVM/EnableResignature on ESX3.5 servers this can be done in the configuration, advanced settings or from the console using the same command.

The result is that on a reboot one server show both paths to volume are ok the second server shows they are broken if I then do a rescan all on that server it restores the paths to show ok.

I need to find out if there is a way of getting it to automatically rescan after it reconnects the volume. Any vmware guys out there that would like to provide assisatnce please do.

Gavin