Visit Open-E website

Thread: unit unknown... can I get data back?

Default unit unknown... can I get data back?

First server worked with 2x1TB HDD.
    Bought extension key, added 1,5TB drive and added it to volume group 00.
    Then bought another 1,5TB HDD to create software raid1,
    I removed 1,5TB shares and deleted it from volume group 00.
    It didnīt let me use old 1,5TB hdd so I deleted it in console.
    Then I added all drives and discovered that I canīt make software raid (exeeded my licens)
    so I used LSI raid controller and another computer where I made hw raid1(with my 1,5TB drives).
    But now I canīt access my old 2x1TB drives- it shows 2 unknown drives in unit manager.
    I but them back to old pc and used old DSS flashdrive (what I used before I bought extension key) but still I cant access my folders, it still shows that I have 2 unknown drives in unit manager.
    How I can restore them to access my stuff?

sorry my english sucks, hope someone understand this.

For the 2 1TB drives you might have to use the software raid in the DSS to let them sync back up unless they where deleted from the Console and if so then the data is gone if not then try to use the DSS in the SW RAID to let them connect again unless there are other issues. Log could provide more information but if you have DSS Lite you will need to purchase a support plan from the link below in order to gain support for a free product.

http://www.open-e.com/products/annual-premium-support/
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

2x1tb wasnīt in raid, just 2 drives in 1 volume or 3... mm when I removed 1,5tb from there then I destroyed this volume?

As long as you didnt delete the volumes your should be able to see the data.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

if volume group is missing, can I get it back, repair it or something?
    Is there some recovery software what I can use to scan my drives and restore my files?
    what file system DSS uses?

and if I buy support plan are u sure that they can help me?

or they say after purchase "sorry, format drives and everything is ok again"

If you used the "Delete contents of Unit" in the Extended tools then the data is lost, if not there could be a possibility to get it back but we would have to research this with our engineers but no guarantee and if you dont have the log file from before this also would be hard for them to resetup the volume. The DSS V6 is using Debian w/ XFS filesystem.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

So deleting contents without hard drives still destroys system, damn Iīm stupid

ok tnx.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltsfk
    So deleting contents without hard drives still destroys system, damn Iīm stupid

ok tnx.
    Just in case, it is recommended to save a copy of your settings and configurations also a copy of your system logs, in case you need them in the future, also it would be nice to save a list of your users too.

Recommended to keep a copy of the follwoing:
    - GUI from status ->hardware -> Function: Logs
    - GUI in MAINTENANCE -> miscellaneous -> Function: Save settings
    - Configuration->NAS resources->Users

If some noob makes same mistake then I got my data back today with "Raise Data Recovery for XFS"