Visit Open-E website
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not listening on port 3260

Well, the ESX machine is connected to the existing targets (still need a screenshot?), but the problem happens with the newly created target.

<Offtopic>
    I would like to use the vStorage API for backups, but that requires direct connection from the MS machine, where the backup software resides, to the target, wouldn't it?
    </Offtopic>

I've succesfully added this new target to te ESX machines using static discovery, but the MS iSCSI client cannot even log onto the portal on port 3260, although it does connect (breaking connection gives 'connection error' instead of 'authentication error'.

Hopefully I find the time soon to connect a Windows notebook directly...

What I think what is happening here is that your ESX servers are connected to the targets and locking it out for the Windows systems. Use the Deny and Allow for the new target so that only the windows IP is allowed to connect to the target. For the API to windows I have no idea.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi Todd

I do not think this is the case: I allowed a subnet /24 to the targets and connect from an IP within that range.

Besides, I've also tried to connect with the IP restrictions removed from the new target IP.

I would love to try further, but my certificate had expired and I've just created a new one using the Time settings on the console, but the certificate is still invalid and no browser allows me to proceed.
    I guess I need to reboot the DSS first?

Little update:

I connected a notebook with an IP in the correct range directly to the "spare" (but already configered for use in another subnet) NIC on the DSS and succesfully received a ping reply.

I then tried to connect using "iscsicli qaddtargetportal <IP-address>, but still the result is "Authentication failure".

I don't think IP restrictions are the problem, since I've already tried to connect from within the range that the ESX machine is also in.
    Nevertheless, just to get this straight: any IP restrictions on specific targets should NOT affect the targetportal on port 3260, should they?

Next step will be more close examination of the DSS logs, but for now I still have the d*** certificate issue...

Maybe some screen shots to show some of the settings and outputs. Also download the log file then look for the tests.log and look for the "session" like below and post for the iSCSI sessions so we all can see. I have seen in the past many times before where there is another initiator connected to an iSCSI target. For you to now to have issues with getting into the browser tells me there is something else going on (port, duplicate name, separate network, subet, static route...). if rebooting works then possible cache of the browser - use Firefox possibly.

cat /proc/net/iet/session
    *-----------------------------------------------------------------------------*

cat: /proc/net/iet/session: No such file or directory

cat /proc/scsi_tgt/iscsi/session

Also look in the tests.log and send us the info below.
    ifconfig -a
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

At this point maybe a remote viewing might help. Can you send me an email via the forum and I will tell what to do next.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Thanks Todd for your assistance.

I will make one last attempt before calling for your help: I will shutdown the ESX, reboot the DSS machine so it runs the latest updates and no connections are running and try to connect.

If the cert issue (weird: removing the root from the trusted authorities in my personal store gets me to the login, but no further?) has been fixed, I will download some logs.

Will get back to you soon...

Make sure after rebooting the ESX server to use the reset function for the iSCSI Targets in Location
    MAINTENANCE -> connections -> Function: iSCSI connection reset.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi Todd

This is clearly not my best day: I was able to fix the certificate issue by clearing the cache and downloading the SSLcert from the webinterface.

I did a reset of all iSCSI connections and tried again: no luck, still Authentication error.

I then rebooted the server to run with the latest updates, but now it only returns a blank page! No errors on the console and I can see the webserver is running by trying any non-existing path.
    I tried on 3 machines, so I guess something is wrong with the update (85).
    Let's reboot back into previous state...

Sounds for sure something is acting up. Any chance you can do a fresh install of the DSS V6 on another USB flash stick w/ the previous version like your doing now?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"