Visit Open-E website

Thread: Autofailover Question

Default Autofailover Question

Had a drive in our primary DSS's RAID 10 array go out and as it was rebuilding (took 8 hours) I realized that if the mirror pair died I would lose my entire 5TB volume and all my server hosts would come to a screeching halt. The DSS would not switch over because the ping nodes would have been the same as before.

Is any work being done on detecting if a volume becomes inaccessable for reasons like multiple disk failures that the DSS would sense this and switch to the passive DSS?

A while back I remember it mentioned by Open-e staff they were working on active/active HA. Is this getting any closer to becoming a reality? I would think with active/active there would be a better chance of service continuity if one of the DSS's were to lose the entire volume to multiple disk failures.

Thanks!

Hi,

Heads up everyone! New Release Candidate DSS V6 up80 b5581 is available which has the following functionality below.

The new version of DSS V6 will be able to detect any I/O errors and automatically switch to the secondary node.

If you are interested in testing the New Release Candidate please email support via the user portal or from the Open-E Support website.

NEW:
    - Tips on GUI which works as guide (optional)
    - I/O errors cause failover action
    - Support for booting system via QLOGIC FC HBA H/W initiator

UPDATED:
    - Updated lm-sensors to version 3.3.0
    - Improved XFS performance and stability also as memory consumption for filesystem consistency check and repair
    - Improved performance for volume replication over 10Gb/s Ethernet (updated DRBD to version 8.3.10)
    - Updated drivers for Intel's Ethernet cards 10Gb/s (ixgbe - v3.3.9-NAPI)
    - Updated drivers for Intel's Ethernet cards 1Gb/s (e1000e - v1.3.10a-NAPI, e1000 - v8.0.30-NAPI)
    - Updated driver for LSI RAID controllers (megaraid_sas - v5.30)
    - Updated driver for Broadcom NetXtreme Ethernet cards (bnx2 -v2.0.23b, bnx2x - v1.62.1)

As a results in the newer version DSS will be able to detect any I/O errors and automatically switch to the secondary node.

BR,
    Tomasz