Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installation unsuccessful on 4gb flash drive

Default installation unsuccessful on 4gb flash drive

Hi.

I`m trying installing dss v6 lite from different cd on two different 4 GB flashdrive on different pc and servers.
    How to troubleshoot such error?

What is the exact problem? The DSS V6 doesn't boot?
    Have you checked if the md5 sum of the downloaded iso file is correct?
    Do you use a 4GB SSD or USB memory stick?

In order to install this version on a USB drive, please proceed with the following steps:
    1. Download and uncompress the file dss6.0upXX_xxxx.oe_i.zip
    2. Format a USB-stick partitioned as a FAT or FAT32 for the root directory (at least 512MB media size)
    3. Copy the uncompressed directories and files onto USB-stick
    Directories: bxxxx and boot
    Files: mmenu_upd.sh
    4. After copying the directories and files please verify that in the root directory resides:
    bxxxx <DIR>
    boot <DIR>
    mmenu_upd.sh
    5. Access the directory called "boot" then run the bootinst.exe (for Windows only) or bootinst.sh (for Linux only).
    6. Boot your storage server with the USB-stick. (please set the BIOS to boot form USB-stick, or in boot menu select USB-stick to boot)

BR,
    Tomek

Quote Originally Posted by yareg
    Hi.

I`m trying installing dss v6 lite from different cd on two different 4 GB flashdrive on different pc and servers.
    How to troubleshoot such error?

Your 4GB flash drive could be formatted as NTFS or else, and to install DSSv6 LITE on such drive, you need to format it as FAT or FAT 32.

Also be sure that you downloaded the .Zip file not the .ISO file for USB flash drives, as the .ISO file is use for CD ( You can deal with the ISO file and copy it's content as dealing with .Zip file, but you need a software that can deal with ISO files such as WinRAR ).

To-P, exact problem: after installation process ends, message "Installation unsuccessful" appears. So the dss v6 lite (dss6.0up75_b5377.oe_i.iso) not even installed.
    Yes, I checked md5 sum of the downloaded iso and verify burned media. And before installing dss check itself when running install.

It is usb stick. I do it like you said, all 5 steps, except can`t found .zip. in download page there is only iso, but i believe that does not matter.

Al-S, no it was fat32 when i started. But this does not matter too, because installation wizard format media after select.

Tnx for reply, but problem is solved. I noticed that i`m using an old iso dss6.0up75_b5377.oe_i.iso .
    New dss6.0up80_b5605.oe_i.iso works.

Quote Originally Posted by yareg
    To-P, exact problem: after installation process ends, message "Installation unsuccessful" appears. So the dss v6 lite (dss6.0up75_b5377.oe_i.iso) not even installed.
    Yes, I checked md5 sum of the downloaded iso and verify burned media. And before installing dss check itself when running install.

It is usb stick. I do it like you said, all 5 steps, except can`t found .zip. in download page there is only iso, but i believe that does not matter.

Al-S, no it was fat32 when i started. But this does not matter too, because installation wizard format media after select.

Tnx for reply, but problem is solved. I noticed that i`m using an old iso dss6.0up75_b5377.oe_i.iso .
    New dss6.0up80_b5605.oe_i.iso works.

Thank you for clearing the issue, but to let you know, the up75 at this time is not a very old build (during the date I'm typing this), but it seems that the ISO file that you have is not downloaded properly or get some issue.
    That's why we leave a sum file ( .MD5 file) within the same page you download the ISO file from, so you can use that .MD5 file to check the downloaded file, is it downloaded fine or have some issues.

Are the .MD5 files still downloadable for V6 Lite product?

Is there any chance the V6 lite .iso images are corrupted? I've download the last four builds of V6 Lite and they all four fail to install. When I boot from the CD and choose to do a software install they all four builds seem to get around 77% - 80% complete and then it fails with a blue box stating simply "Installation Unsuccessful". I have tried this on my years old DSS box, with three different IDE hard drives. The drives were all checked for errors using manufacture's utility and the drives test fine. The DSS memory checker passes without issue. After days of swapping cables and drives around I bought a newish Dell Optiplex 780 with four gig of RAM and dual core duo. Same thing, all four V6 lite copies fail to install, but V7 installed. The .iso files were burned with ImgBurn using verify after write, without issues. After the "unsuccessful" message you are given the "Back" option and when I do and start to install again, the installer jumps right to 77% and fails. Western Digital hard drives 4, 40 and 120 gig all pass every test given to them.

Quote Originally Posted by DKirk53 View Post
    Is there any chance the V6 lite .iso images are corrupted? I've download the last four builds of V6 Lite and they all four fail to install. When I boot from the CD and choose to do a software install they all four builds seem to get around 77% - 80% complete and then it fails with a blue box stating simply "Installation Unsuccessful". I have tried this on my years old DSS box, with three different IDE hard drives. The drives were all checked for errors using manufacture's utility and the drives test fine. The DSS memory checker passes without issue. After days of swapping cables and drives around I bought a newish Dell Optiplex 780 with four gig of RAM and dual core duo. Same thing, all four V6 lite copies fail to install, but V7 installed. The .iso files were burned with ImgBurn using verify after write, without issues. After the "unsuccessful" message you are given the "Back" option and when I do and start to install again, the installer jumps right to 77% and fails. Western Digital hard drives 4, 40 and 120 gig all pass every test given to them.
    Use DSS V7 SOHO version:
    http://www.open-e.com/products/data-...tware-v7-soho/

Will there be any issues involved with taking the four port SATA PCI card out of the old DSS box, running 32big DSS 6, and moving those four SATA drives (SW RAID) over to the new 64bit V7 box? Will the 64 bit kernel handle the older 32 bit volume structures?

Sure wish I could edit my posts, forgot this: The old DSS hardware won't boot V7 due to minimum specs, hence my trying last four builds and swapping parts all around. Part of the reasoning in buying the newer Optiplex 780 is that it still has a PCI connector so I could possibly move that SiI RAID card with four SATA drives over to it, and hopefully DSS 7 will just see the old DSS 6 SW RAID.