Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can see any device under volume manager

Default can see any device under volume manager

hi

i installed open-e on a server with raid 5 hardware controller.

in the beggining i didnt managed to make new volume and i got the msg

""this unit can only by added as dynamic volume", so i erased all partitions and tried to make fresh install again and now open-e dont see any device under the volume manager

i do see the hard-disks in the hardware raid controller setup and in installation of open-e ,

but cant see them in the volume manager group therefor cant create any volume

pls advise

thanks

Pi-L Guest

Have you created unit in RAID controller setup?

no, i had hardware raid controller setup in the bios.

do i need to do that? if yes then how?
    (it dont let me to create raid as the boxes are grayed out)

thanks

Pi-L Guest

For instructions on how to do that please refer to your RAID controller manual, as every manufacturer's devices have slightly different procedure

the server already configured with raid 5 array.

do i need to do any settings in open-e as well?

No extra settings in DSS to see the array....

did you install the DSS to the same RAID5 array ?

so that's bring me to mt initail question, why cant i see it?

thx

Pi-L Guest

it is hard to diagnose the problem without any evidence
    It may be that you created only one volume on RAID and installed DSS on it?
    Volume used as system medium will not be visible. Have you checked in DSS V6 hardware compatibility list if your RAID controller is supported? In DSS V6 logs you can find output of 'fdisk' command to see what is really happening with your drives.

ok well dividing the raid array from scrach into to VG did the job, this is also what was adviced in open-e forum....

big thanks to Open-E, before closing the question i have one left regarding this issue.

i have 4 Physical disks, i wanted to create the first volume as 2 giga like recommended, (each disk is about 150 GB) , problem is , that when i selected 1 or more disk for the use of the first VG, i coudnt select the availble disk space that remained on this disk (which is quite alot) to the second VG where i put all the rest of the disk in raid 5.

this caused me alot of unused spaced to be vasted.

is it possibole to allocate 1 Physical disk in to more then one VG , how do i manage to create the first VG only in 2 GIGA capacity without lossing all the remanning disk space that i wanted to alocate from this disk to the second VG which defined as raid 5 array?

thanks.

Create two VGs, one with size 2GB to install DSS on it, and you can use the reset of space as the second VG that you can use to store all your data on it.