Visit Open-E website

Thread: Installer problems

Default Installer problems

Have an IBM x346 w/2-2.8ghz DC, w/8gb ram, 6-142gb u320 drives using raid5 w/serveraid 7k controller. Have created 2 logical drives, one on 12gb, the other w/rest of the disk.

1) Sections of the manual say that the software must reside on the non-data portion of a disk. The installer displayed the following and requested the boot location. Is this config correct or must I move the "LINUX" and "SWAP" to sda?

/dev/sda 12582mb Logical 0 Bootable
    /dev/sda1 1998mb W95 Fat16

/dev/sdb 721488mb Logical 1
    /dev/sdb1 8787mb Linux
    /dev/sdb2 1077mb Swap

2) I ran w/this config and loaded the installer, rebooted, loaded the 64bit software, and rebooted. Accessed the NAS from another PC, logged in and, nothing. The license text displays and has 2 buttons w/no text. I clicked the left one. The next screen displays lots of pictures but no buttons except logoff. A big blank box is on the bottom left of the screen. Cannot even get to square 1 to see what was even created.

I'm at a loss. Any help appreciated...CJ

Try to check your DSSv6 ISO image with .MD5 sum file to be sure that the ISO file is working fine, also you can install the DSSV6 on a USB flash memory to see if the ISO file that you have is working fine or not.

You need to install DSSv6 on a 2GB LUN, and make the other LUN for your data.

1) MD5 check sums match
    2) The software is not capable of moving nor adding subdirectories. The software put
    "Linux ext3" and "Swap" on the data drive (Logical1). You say these directories must
    be on logical 0.
    3) Booted on /dev/ida1 and loaded software; still no work.
    4) Forced deletion of subdirectories from logical 1. Forced added subdirectories to logical 0, but unable to rename or assign file type. Reinstalled again. Still no work.
    5) Downloaded & unzipped flash drive file info. Unable to find bootinst.exe on computer so this cannot be done.

This was a 2day project; it has now taken off-and-on almost a month. I've fiddled with your software since Friday. This shouldn't be that difficult.

I've looked at lots of SAN/NAS software, scanned thru forums and have come up with, what I think, the only way this can work.
    a) Don't use flash drives, not reliable.
    b) Load software on a separate hard drive. Keep your data drives offline until
    software is loaded. Don't use LUNs, logical units or try to partition your data
    drive; install software will put the software directories in the wrong location and
    you cannot move them.
    c) Make sure the software works; then mount your data drives and configure them.

The only problem is the software cannot be mounted on branded server-grades
    (ie: IBM, HP, Dell, etc). There is really no way to add a separate drive to a raided server as there is no space for one. The software would work very nicely, though, in a custom
    PC desktop where one has lots of space to add controllers and drives.

So, I'm off to look at other alternatives. Thanks much...

you give up to easy.....

change browsers(if IE9, use compatibilty mode) and install like this:
    http://www.open-e.com/library/webcasts-and-videos/
    Installing Open-E DSS V6

Tried an experiment w/your competitor software in trying to load it to a logical drive. It loaded very fast and seemed to work with the current release (They later told me it won't work as theirs only work on USB). But the gui had the same problem. Their manual said "...if you have problems with the gui displaying properly, use Firefox. IE has issues."

Aha!! I wonder!! I tried your software again. Upon loading it, lots of subdirectories were shown (probably the competitor software). So I rebuilt the hardware raid from scratch, dropping logical 1 to 8gb from 12gb, and then loaded your installer.

No subdirectories shown (this never happened). CfDisk showed both logicals as free (this never happened). Selected 8gb logical and installed software, removed CD, and rebooted to run from the harddrive. After assigning the IP, I launched Firefox. Amazing, now the gui works!! I fiddled with it last night; seems to work neat.

So, for initial loading of software:
    a) Drives must be re-raided every time one initially loads the software, even if loading the same software. This alleviates rogue files/subdir. Set raid logicals as 1=software logical (8gb), 2=data logical (rest of array).
    b) Using CfDisk, make sure the both logicals show no subdirectories; all must show as free. Select logical 1 to load software (I was selecting the specific subdirectory within the logical which may have caused problems).
    c) Use Firefox.

If yours didn't work and your competitors has issues, my next step was to try an earlier release of yours/theirs. If that didn't work, then scrap Linux and back to Windows. But yours now came up running. So now I'll be testing a while seeing what this will do; now this is fun!!

Thanks much...

IBM x346 2x2.8ghz DC, 8gb ram, 6-142gb u320 10k drives, Serveraid 7k, Raid 5
    Partition 1: 8gb Partition 2: 691gb