Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switchless 10GbE setup with 2 DSS and 3 ESX Hosts

Oh no, reading helps...

Sorry Todd, the correct question is: when will the next release you recommended comes out?

But that's also wrong, taking a look at the webiste helps... I'll now test build 5794 and will be in touch again if necessary.

Best,
    Norman

Have a nice weekend. And sorry for the noise.

Hi Norman

I am testing NFS and iscsi failover with 10GB switchless with 3 esxi4 server and
    also parallel 1GB Nics over a switch as bond (active-backup) and standby nic in esx vmkernel. The test seems to work. I changed today to new release and will test again.
    In the moment I simulate everything with 1GB nics but everything worked, next week I will try to test with 10GB.

What is the status of your tests ?

If you have interest for a direct contact to share experience about this 10GB test and network diagram, you send send me a PM over this forum and I will contact you

Hi shechtl

We are very much interested in Your 10Gbps switchless configuration of iSCSI failover (2x DSS in iSCSI failover) and 3 esx4 servers.

Can You share with us Your network diagram of mentioned configuration?

you can find a diagram at this link
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FR6FHVAQ

but its not completed and I did my test with only 2 x ESXi and only with 1GB nics
    until i get my 10Gbit nics next week, but it should work also with 3 esx.

With the 10GB /1GB bond I will have some part of a nic failover. If someone will also verify, test and post his results here will be nice

With the 10GB /1GB bond I will have some part of a nic failover. If someone will also verify, test and post his results here will be nice
    It is not recommended to bond different chipsets to the same bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr-R
    It is not recommended to bond different chipsets to the same bond.
    ok if its not allowed, but
    I will use Intel 1Gb and Intel 10GB Nic and also I will use active-backup so the 1GB nic
    is normaly only standby

On the linux bonding project I could found nothing that it is not allowed to bond nic with different speed and hardware ?

different chipsets/speeds in a bond can be unpredictable, as it forces different drivers into the bond.
    I'm not saying its not allowed, but since it can be unstable, we do not recommend you do this with any bond.
    It is also better to bond ports that are on the same card.

Hello,

We are trying to get the switchless setup to work with Xenserver 6.1 and and Active Active open-e setup.... till now without success.

We see the virtual ip switching etc etc but the server looses connection when a swithover occurs since it does not know to use the second network port. If we pull the first ethernet cable switch over occurs, how can we do this automatically?

Anyone has a walkthrough how to get 2-3 Xenserver hosts to work over all 10Gbe ?

Thanks a lot in advance!