Visit Open-E website

Thread: Access a replicated volume through NFS

Default Access a replicated volume through NFS

Hi All,

I have successfully create a replicated volume on a second node. Replication seems to wrok fine. The question is, how to access the data via NFS on the replicated volume on the second node.

when I try to create a share on this node, I got the followig message message :

It is impossible to create a new share because there is no path currently available. All NAS logical volumes that take part in volume replication are in destination mode. It is only possible to create new share on:

* volumes that are not used in volume replication
    * volumes that are used in volume replication but are in source mode
    * active snapshots

Thanks for your help !
    Regards.

This is correct that the Destination share will not be available until you perform the Failover.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    This is correct that the Destination share will not be available until you perform the Failover.
    Hi,

What do you mean by "until you perform the Failover ?" In my configuration I do not need network Failover with virtual ip adress and so on...

I just need 2 DSS nodes with their own IP and a replicated volume that I can mount in NFS on the secondary node if its necessary.

My project aims at creating a mail server with 2 front linux servers mounting each one a DSS node in NFS. The failover is made on the linux server. On the DSS I just need that the NFS volume is replicated on the second node.
    Virtual IP
    / \
    / \
    Linux1 Linux2
    | |
    | |
    | |
    DSS1 -----> DSS2

Regards.

When synchronous mirroring is used, one node is treated as the active (source) and the other as the passive (destination). The natural consequence is that data can be accessed only on the active node. The passive node is “locked” and cannot be used until it is switched to active.

There is a way to bypass these limitations – by creating a snapshot on the destination node and accessing the data via the snapshot. However, this is only a partial solution, as the data on the snapshot is read-only.

BR,
    Tomek

I found this thread while searching for a similar solution.

I have files on one box that I want to replicate to a second over a vpn link. I want to be able to access the files on the second box.

what is the proper replication setup for this to happen?

For NFS you have to Failover to the Secondary.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

@fiprotec

I don't have much experience in NFS sync.replication, but I think it is similar to iSCSI volume sync.replication.

You want to access the date from secondary DSS2 storage which is replicated from primary DSS1 through appropriate replication task.

This might work:
    You have to:
    - make sure that iSCSI volumes on DSS1 and DSS2 are consistent (see status of the replication task)
    - disconnect iSCSI initiator (on client) from iSCSI target on DSS1
    - stop replication task on primary DSS1.
    - set iSCSI volume on DSS1 to "destination"
    - set iSCSI voume on DSS2 to "source"
    - make iSCSI target on DSS2 and assign this iSCSI volume to it
    - connect iSCSI initiator (on client) to iSCSI target on DSS2
    - You now have access to data on DSS2

When You want to go back to DSS1, You have to make
    replication task on DSS2 to replicate new data from DSS2 to DSS1.
    And then set similar procedure (similar to above) after replication task has status consistent.