Visit Open-E website

Thread: 4TB+8TB licencing of Open-E DSS V6

Default 4TB+8TB licencing of Open-E DSS V6

Hello,

We are using Open-E DSS V6 b4786 64-bit on Supermicro HW.
    2x iSCSI logical volumes (5.5TB each) on 2x volume_groups of the same capacity.
    Total of 11TB of data. LSI1078 based SAS RAID controller (Supermicro AOC-USAS-H8iR)
    2x iSCSI targets
    There are two hosts (w2k8 R2 SP1 Standard) which are targeting iSCSI storage through DualPort Intel i82598EB 10Gbps adapter (Supermicro AOC-STG-i2).
    On each host, there are 6-10 Hyper-V machines which have VHDs on this storage.

By circumstance, trial period has expired.
    We are going to purchase 4TB Open-E product key + 8TB Capacity Extension License Key.

Few questions that worries me:

1. I have to do Open-E licencing in three steps: entering 4TB licence, restart, then entering 8TB extension licence key, restart, activation, restart.
    What will happen with 11TB of my data when I enter 4TB product key and restart the storage server? Since I have data more than 4TB licence key is allowing, do I have to worry about my data?

2. After Open-E product activation, we are planning to do Open-E DSS V6 updating to the latest b5626.
    Do I have to pay special attention on something when updating from b4786 to b5626 ?

Thanks...

Your existing data wont be effected after you enter you enter you licensee key and reboot. Once all license keys are entered to support your storage capacity then you data will be available. There is no reboot for the activation.

When updating from b4786 to b5626 there are mostly driver updates but if you are doing any iSCSI Auto Failover then make sure to that you have the Aux enable for each VIP. You can read the release from your User Portal.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube